sbg  

RPP Accessories 2018

Thread: Extending a lexan body >>

Default Extending a lexan body >>

I'm looking to put a Tamiya Unimog 425 body on a CFX-W.

I'm not concerned about track width, but wheelbase is definitely an issue. The Uni 425 body has a 242mm wheelbase, while the CFX-W is about 300mm. I would like to extend the bed section the necessary ~60mm to make the wheel wells line up.

A friend of mine has a spare Uni 406 body that he's willing to give me which I believe has roughly the same size bed. Would it be possible to cut a section from the 406 bed and join the front and rear halves of the 425 body after it is cut?

What are my other options? I've watch a few vids on YouTube about fabricating pieces out of styrene. I've never worked in styrene before, so I've not a clue on how that can be done.

Thanks

Time to jump in and try it. Short of using Shoe-Goo and a few strips of flexible fabric mesh, I don't see many other ways of doing this. A few folks have done it here before, did you try searching?
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

My search only turned up one person who did something similar, but it was mostly photos and not much process description.

You're saying use shoe-goo and the fabric to strengthen the joints where the body pieces meet? what if I used scraps of lexan and CA?

CA won't cut it. They do make solvents for acrylic or polycarbonate sheets but I can't recall the name. Figure it's the same type of solvent used to make display cases or fish tanks?
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM