sbg  

RPP 2 Fall 2017
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Blackfoot RC - Scale Park

A small update; picked up a pretty cool shrub on sale a couple weeks back, kind of like a giant bonsai tree. I think it looks top notch.

And a couple pics of a building I have been working on for a bit now. It will be a fire lookout. Was tricky to figure out how large to build it at full 1:10 scale it looked massive compared to the trucks. We cut it down some and now its about 1:11 or 1:12 scale. What scale is everyone else building too???

The railing was the most difficult part of the project so far. The wood is all made on my table saw; very time consuming!!!

The finished building will be on stilts. The building and railing will get a white wash and some weathering. The roof will be covered in thin aluminum and then painted red and again weathered. I was dragging my heals a little on this project but now that I have more free time Im back at it!!!

Nice work on the building! Is it going to stay outside 24/7? How is it held together?

I build all of my structures at 1/9 scale because most "1/10" vehicles are actually 1/9 or 1/8.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Driver

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Nice work on the building! Is it going to stay outside 24/7? How is it held together?

I build all of my structures at 1/9 scale because most "1/10" vehicles are actually 1/9 or 1/8.
    It won't be out 24/7. The main building structure is 1/4" plywood glued and nailed, the deck is nailed and PL400 and siding is all PL400. I'm sure the structure would take the elements but the railing is just CA so not sure how it would last in the elements. That and the last building we left out went missing in a week!!

I crawl here almost weekly. Just have to give a big shout out to all the guys that make this place so awesome. It’s one of a kind and a blast to drive.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tossedman View Post
    I crawl here almost weekly. Just have to give a big shout out to all the guys that make this place so awesome. It’s one of a kind and a blast to drive.
    Thanks kindly for the compliment. I'm glad to hear you enjoy it, the support we receive it what keeps us building.

Well managed to get one last project complete before the snow flies.

Before:

This section has always kinda drove me nuts, the rubber retaining wall just wasn't cutting it anymore and it had to go.

After:

IMO it looks a million times better. Simple to make and functional. There is a backer behind the scale looking timbers made by 2x4's with a 1/2" hole drilled all the way through the 12" height. These holes allowed rebar to be drove into the ground a few feet; they are extremely solid!!!

The finish was achieved by torching the wood till it was nearly on fire in some spots and then staining it. Looks like nasty old timbers

Once completed I sat there for awhile looking at it. Now I'm obsessing over one more retaining wall high, an abandon rail line and coal loader building. By the end of this winter I may be able to start my own web site; think I'll call it "ScaleBuildingGuild"

Definitely a GREAT course. I plan to visit when the white stuff has melted.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSpeed View Post
    Definitely a GREAT course. I plan to visit when the white stuff has melted.
    Glad to hear, bring lots of batteries cause it's a blast!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345