sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Washes... tell me your favorites

Default Washes... tell me your favorites

Ok so I'm getting really close to being ready for paint on the little truggy. So, I'm looking at washes. I'd like to know your favorites.

I know that the Citadel washes (I assume that's the "shades" line) are very popular. Which colors and for what uses? I remember that n00b used the Nuln Oil wash for the grille on his blazer...

I think there were a few others I've seen various builders use; sepia and earth tone... and one other for faces.

Any info, colors, brands and application techniques would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

I like the AK Interactive stuff; started using it back when I was more into 1:35 tanks, and they work great!

Used some of their Dust Effects and Streaking grime on this; not much, just enough to bring out some of the details.

Before washes etc:

As far as application goes, it really depends on the type of use that is intended; vertical streaking for grime, overall wash to highlight body lines, splotches for oil and rust stains, and so on.
    ScalerFab Team Driver

From Citadel line the Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil are a must-have. You can use them as a regular wash but they are great for making streaks and run offs. They also make great oil/dirt stains - just leave few drops on the surface and let them dry - like here on the top of the drum.

What I did here with this drum; I painted it first silver, then masked it with pieces of masking tape, painted the surface (first blue, then new mask for white), removed the mask and made the rust using products from Ammo of Mig Jimenez. I think they have something to do with AK interactive.. Not sure though. I used Tracks Wash, Light Rust Wash and Streaking Rust Effects - highly recommended products! These are all enamel based while Citadel are water based paints. Oh yeah and a wash with said Citadel washes. I also gave it a mechanical treatment by scratching it with knife afterwards.

Other washes from Citadel are OK, but get only the colour you need (green wash for green surface) to give it a darker tone but there is no real need to buy the whole set. Or maybe the Flesh shade if you want to make figures.

Cheap option of course is to make your own wash from any colour, its afterall just very very thin paint!

That's great info fellas! The techniques make sense, and will really help me out.

I will be placing an order for those products this evening. I'll also need some clear/matte coats to cover the water based paints.

Oh I'm getting so excited for this!!

So I placed a decent order and have some washes on the way. Citadel Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade, then the AK interactive winter streaking grim, light rust wash, engine oil and streaking grim... this should be a great place to start.

I'll update this thread when they arrive and again when I have some time to experiment with them.

Thanks again for the advise!