sbg  

GearHead
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Original SUV

Quote Originally Posted by penneyma79 View Post
    I really love this one, great lines, and you obviously are vibing with the source material! As for the metal, there are many ways to skin that cat. It is great for instant gratification, but you may want to avoid the .005 tooling aluminum Masher uses, as do I, as unless you WANT it to get damaged, it just isn't super forgiving to handling it a lot. Those pressboard bucks you made should hold up to at least a few panels. I would love to see this in copper sheets, soldered. Maybe make a few extra panels to force ageing and patina? either way, awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
    No, I think you could do it just fine. plaster of paris is a great way to start. if you try, make sure you put some kind of release agent on the buck, like a thin layer of Vaseline for example, and also put something on the back of the buck, like a handle, so you can pull it from the plaster once it sets.

you could try the foil idea but I don't think you will get the clean look you are after. it will want to wrinkle bad under vacuum. I feel the styrene would be the optimum choice.

you should be able to solder it just fine my only concern is heating it without warping the panel but if the material is fairly thick you should be fine. I've seen it done many times on other models.

I completely agree. the aluminum I use would be a waste on this as I would not want it to show damage. Copper or even annealed brass sheet would work great with the bucks you already have. if you use something like .015 or .020 you should be able to shape it easily over the wood bucks but you might need to eliminate some of the smaller details like the hinges but they could always be added later and give an even better look. Material that thick would also resist denting once formed.

Keep it up!
    Huge thanks guys.. Your pushing me in the right direction and tons of ideas.
    After cleaning body shell up for 4 plus hours last night.. I had lots of time thinking threw the different steps that could be used and involved.
    See what comes around of it all here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    This thread is deemed to be "outrageous".

Lovely work sir. But we've come to expect that from you.
    Thanks "guy"
    It's been an interesting build for me.... Bout chucked it in the ole scrap bin twice as I wasn't to happy with a lot of different things with it. Seems to be cleaning up better then thought.
    Next Body should be tons better.

Quote Originally Posted by choladay View Post
    One question. Did you make the frame flex like the original? You can twist those frames by hand. Maybe that is why they were decent in the mud and snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It should be able to once done in brass. That's the goal I'm aiming for.
    Also where I will be starting on the Second version of this one. I can already visualize the slow mo vid of it bouncing and moving..lol.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
    Nice work. Such a cool shaped old body and fenders on these. Looks like fun to make.
    Huge THANK YOU Rick.
    I seriously watched your 1977 Ford build twice, for the inspiration..Always fires me up to get building and carving.
    I would love to see you create something along these lines. You capture the movements and lines of your Builds so beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by penneyma79 View Post
    This whole thread is giving me all kinds of great ideas..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks ... Hope to see ya at then soon
    It's what ya all do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by snapon12 View Post
    Extremely cool! Loads of hard work

149 r/c worx team driver
    Thanks...Lots of work indeed. Even if it's just a prototype.
    Can't wait to start on the finial Car.

You all Rock..thanks for the comments and views everyone....
    More soon....
    Ive a few Ideas for the body before posting it up, and then sending to n00b...hehehehehe.
    I'm so excited to get it to him..
    Run what Ya Brung.

Quote Originally Posted by indoet93 View Post
    Terima kasih untuk artikel ini
    Um, Thank You.....I think ???

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Um, Thank You.....I think ???
    Run what Ya Brung.

Nothing wrong with your skills, these are just amazing pieces what you create. RC art on it's most beautiful form! Im sure this will keep good company for rocks at Smiggins Folly - BTW How would some pieces of the world's fines granite look at Whiskey Hill?
    Just let me know and we put the rocks rolling!

On another note, there could be a market (huge market) for narrow vintage spoke wheels and tires. Interested to se what you finally come up with!

Google translate says it's Indonesian for "Thanks for this article"

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    Nothing wrong with your skills, these are just amazing pieces what you create. RC art on it's most beautiful form! Im sure this will keep good company for rocks at Smiggins Folly - BTW How would some pieces of the world's fines granite look at Whiskey Hill?
    Just let me know and we put the rocks rolling!

On another note, there could be a market (huge market) for narrow vintage spoke wheels and tires. Interested to se what you finally come up with!
    Thanks Halme..
    Whiskey hill was blown up this early spring... It's still needing lots of attention and about a yard more of dirt moved.
    I'll be back on it shortly.
    Rocks cost lots of money from Over seas I here...ahahaha.
    Thanks for the jester .. Save your coin my friend.

As for the Little car.. I'm just picking it apart horribly. Some of my worst work I feel.
    Hoping n00b can beat it into submission... and make something out of it.
    I shot it already... Put it out of it's misery...lol.
    Pics coming.
    Thanks again my friend.
    Run what Ya Brung.

I promises ... The second version will be Ten Fold better...
    n00b's got his work cut out for him making this into a ...aaaa. ya Sumthin cool.

any who.. here's the small update.

Run what Ya Brung.

Honestly, I think it's amazing. If I had made that I'd be so proud. I can't wait to see how the next one turns out.

Exactly! I'd be pumped if I had made it

149 r/c worx team driver

Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    Honestly, I think it's amazing. If I had made that I'd be so proud. I can't wait to see how the next one turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapon12 View Post
    Exactly! I'd be pumped if I had made it

149 r/c worx team driver
    Thanks guys.
    I'll build a floor for it and a few other smalls before shipping.

As for the next version.
    I will start from the ground up. Chassis first.
    Brass..Lots of brass. That should give me time to figure which direction I will go for body.
    Bullitt should have the wheels ready for printing by then too.
    Why I'm not very happy with the way it turned out.
    This was really good practice and helped figure a lot of things out for size and fitment.
    Very eager to get going on the new one.

More soon.
    Run what Ya Brung.

Looking fwd to see how it will turn out. very curious about the printed Wheels, too. Regards Jens
    Scale Virus infected!

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast