sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Simply amazing....if you didn't know it, you'd be convinced that the was a kit, something someone bought and was assembling - instead, its a completely hand fabricated masterpiece! Just a blast to follow! Can't wait for the BRG!!!!!!
    Thanks very much. I did some more on the front end before I left on my trip but wanted to tweak it some more before posting. I look forward to getting some more done on it after I return, Lord willing. I teach and school starts up in a couple weeks after I’m back so prep will consume a good chunk of my time. I’m eager to get it done though.

Got home and did a little work on the radiator housing and added some ducts on the outside. Nearing the end of all the things I have to fabricate before painting. I'll look it over and see if anything else needs to be done and then disassemble it to sand. Here's the latest shots.

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

I trimmed the "fangs" back a bit in the process of evening them out.
    IMG_2487.JPG

So I came to the conclusion a while back that an open cockpit car needs a driver and since my vehicle is a weird size I figured I would have to make one entirely from scratch. Actually I had planned to make one for the vette but was at a loss how to make the helmet the right size. I looked at ping pong balls, plastic eggs, etc. and couldn't find anything to start me off. Went out one Saturday with the Misses and came across these helmets in a "antiques and collectables" shop and took a picture. They were kind of expensive in the shop but I found them on eBay for cheap and ended up with a set of 3 of them. They are Nascar helmets so I might ditch some of the sponsor logos, especially Alltel (since they were such a lousy phone company when I had their service). Each helmet comes with a suction cup stand with a droid looking top to hold the helmet. Now how to make a body and arms only since I haven't got enough space for a full seat and legs? The arms are made from a foam formable hair curling stick with a wire in it to keep it's shape. We had a few around the house. I used a pink one since it was a better thickness (the purple would work for legs if I needed them). I made a sort of two piece breast plate for the abdomen and seat out of paper to get a sense of size and placement, formed similar but more refined out of aluminum and then got some red nylon ribbon for the seat harness and wah lah! Introducing Guillermo Del Torso! I formed a hand out of sticky foam just to see how it worked and will cover the torso with similar once I figure out the shape of the suit. I will then cover it with wood glue to seal it and create a hard paintable surface, similar to what I did with my Vette fender flares. Lots more to do including a dash and a steering wheel which is a plumbing O ring for test purposes. I have a steering wheel from an old Bratz doll car that will be the one I use. Here's some shots.

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

this is very cool build

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    this is very cool build
    Thanks very much. Trying to think my way through the belt system and the buckle - whether to simply make it work anyway I can or to try and make some scaled down facsimile of the real thing. At some point I have to ere on the side of anything that works and looks about right. Form follows function - I have to keep that in mind.

i like that all tubes and screws are visible. so it make you feel, that every part is mounted simplest way and on purpose functionally/accesible

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    i like that all tubes and screws are visible. so it make you feel, that every part is mounted simplest way and on purpose functionally/accesible
    Some of that is by necessity. I have no blueprints for this. Just a few hand sketches and lots of bits and pieces, discards and odds and ends that cut, shape and I tape into place to see if it looks right, and then screw in until I can find a better way to attach it. The other reason is that I need to be able to disassemble this for painting and repair it should I have the misfortune of crashing it. It's built sturdy to run around in my driveway for fun and not sit on a shelf forever. I'm hoping to get around to painting it in October after I finish with the driver details, Lord willing. It's gone on for a very long time now and I am ready to be done and enjoy the finished Jag!

Just keeps getting better! Driver is a great addition! Can't wait to see this in color.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I was looking at my thread on another site where I began posting my builds, a site primarily devoted to static model car builds, (scalemotorcars.com). It had the date of my first post about the Jag project. Hard to believe it was December of 2014. I ought to have this thing done by now! Still working on the driver and also fabricated a mock up dash and steering wheel. I tried sticky foam to cover the torso and was not satisfied. My next material was gaffer's tape, a tape with very good adhesion and a canvas-like fabric covering used in theatrical and live performance to tape down cables and such. It's designed to be removable and leave no residue. It comes in black, red, white, and florescent colors. It doesn't have all the stringy-ness of duct tape and isn't messy when it comes to wrinkles and such. I used black. I cut it like a fabric and layed it on the metal torso shell and then outlined the edges with a white fine line paint pen where I wanted to show the piping of the suit. I am reasonably pleased with the result. I am going to paint the foam covered arms white and thinking about using white latex house paint (have a fair amount of it handy) because it will cover pretty well and has some flexibility once dry (although I do not intend to move the arms at all - once he's finally installed that's it). (Input on that paint choice appreciated) I will do some striping on the sleeves with a blue paint pen to match the color scheme of the helmet. I am going to cover all logos on the helmet except the Mobil 1 logo. Anyway, here's the latest shots of Guillermo Del Torso in his new driving suit.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

That tape makes a nice fabric effect, and you got the body shape good. The tape kind of looks like some black hockey tape they use on hockey skates but wider (since I see no seam in your application).

It's been a while since you started no doubt, but we still there following :) of course I'd like to see it all at once and read through the end, but I'm glad I can follow it in realtime too.

Glad to hear you are on motorcar forum, there is some crazy nice projects there and your work fits right at home no doubt, you have the touch for creation of nice body modifications, and result looks so right. I have followed one amazing thread there at scalemotorcar, the Continental Mark II by Roger Zimmermann.. But now you got me to go back there, I just spent an hour on another thread (while trying to find the name of Roger lol) these guys are crazy, a good kind of crazy. Anyways, keep it going buddy!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast