sbg  

Vaterra
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Those brakes look very real. Good job.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hiroki

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckland View Post
    Those brakes look very real. Good job.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks very much. I want to put more detail into this build but just getting the body finished is somewhat of a daunting task both because I have little time to work on it right now and the list of things to do before painting is rather long. It is however, running so I can take it out for a short spin now and then and that keeps me going.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    In The Shop!
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    You have got a great eye for detail, the body mods are spot on, those brakes are awesome, side exhaust, hood vents...all just very well done! More please.....when you have time of course!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    422

    Default

    I like a lot your approach to building, brakes look very very nice and add nice details. Your cars have your personal touch to them, really enjoy seeing your progress. Also like the idea of clear spoons for headlight lenses! Fit is pretty darn good!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Smithfield, RI USA
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Damn this thing is sexy. Your mods are well thought out and on point.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Nothing much to report on the Jag. I changed out the wheels to the set I think it will end up with after giving them a shot of paint. Part of what motivated the work on the nitro to electric conversion chassis was the fact that the steering servo on my current chassis is getting a little wonky and I have another home-built chassis planned which will use the same suspension with some modifications. My hope is to get the other (nitro/electric conversion) chassis ready and make sure it fits both of my built bodies and later I will try some of my other regular polycarbonate bodies on the new chassis as well.

    IMG_1754.jpg

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Small progress to report. I made a "butter" of sorts with plastic bits cut up small and dissolved in MEK - Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Stinky stuff so I wear a mask working with it. I brushed on some MEK onto the seam of each over fender/flare to secure it. Then I took the "butter" solution and filled the seam some so I could remove the screws and have joints that didn't require a lot of putty to fill. Now they are welded to the body and ready for filling.

    Not pretty, but it works.
    IMG_1760.jpg

    This process was used on my Vette project as well to cover the seams where I sectioned the body and it hasn't cracked or flexed. These joints are not as stressed so I expect they are not likely to crack when the putty is done.
    IMG_1761.jpg

    I don't expect I will get things filled very soon, but it is nice to not look at so many screws - at least for me!
    IMG_1762.jpg

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    302

    Default

    looking good

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Very cool, can't wait to see this covered in paint of all same color :) Looks like MEK bonding works nicely, almost like soldering pieces together! Really loving your custom body builds, they are awesome.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Time for working on this has been very limited so I throw on some putty for a few minutes and come back later in the day to sand, then fill again as needed. I worked on bonding the aluminum top of the body to the plastic - It was already screwed into some plastic tabs I "welded" in as it were with MEK. I then removed the screws and used a reaming tool and hand truned the holes to counter sink some screws in. They still stick up a little but it's about as good as it is going to get. Then I went underneath and used a few pieces of fabric ice hockey tape which is light weight and I covered it with epoxy more or less "fiber" reinforcing it. I filled cracks, screw holes and sanded in the hopes I could primer the thing, but the weather has been cold and wet and I have no heated space to paint. I also evened out the grill in front and evened out the back. I'm back with the original spoiler in back but with less pitch to it. It's just as well that the weather has been unsuitable as I've had some projects for my work to tackle and I really cannot get to absorbed in this thing right now much as I am having fun getting it to the point of painting. That will tell me a lot about places I need to fill and smooth again. I'm hoping the weather dries up and warms up enough to get a coat of primer on it but that will depend on openings in my schedule coinciding with the weather. School starts up again next week and I have some busy weekends coming up too. Anyhow, here's some shots - slow progress this.

    IMG_1767.JPG

    IMG_1768.JPG

    IMG_1769.JPG

    IMG_1770.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •