sbg  

RPP Roll out of Summer 2018
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roo builds a II

Roo did a great job on the rig! I wish I was gonna be able to make it this weekend, but I've gotta take my 9 year old to a scout camping trip. It'll be a blast, but I hate I'm missing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    Roo did a great job on the rig! I wish I was gonna be able to make it this weekend, but I've gotta take my 9 year old to a scout camping trip. It'll be a blast, but I hate I'm missing the event.
    Thanks for the kind words. Sorry we'll miss you at this one, but assuming all goes well, there will be more.
    BowHouse RC, Helios RC, GCM #tinytruck Team

Great build! Love seeing the little guy put so much effort into the build. you can really tell he is serious about it. Although i'm not a truggy fan the rear cage works well with the body choice. Hope he does well at the comp!

Top build thread I like the body nice choice.
    It's so good to get the kids involved it makes it a real family thing & it keeps them of away from the TV iPad ect & gets their little brains working.
    My SCX10 II should finally arrive next week been on order since August.
    Not sure which way in going to go with it just drive it for a while I think until I w work what body to put on it the couple I had in mind you can't get anymore.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
    Great build! Love seeing the little guy put so much effort into the build. you can really tell he is serious about it. Although i'm not a truggy fan the rear cage works well with the body choice. Hope he does well at the comp!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmat01 View Post
    Top build thread I like the body nice choice.
    It's so good to get the kids involved it makes it a real family thing & it keeps them of away from the TV iPad ect & gets their little brains working.
    My SCX10 II should finally arrive next week been on order since August.
    Not sure which way in going to go with it just drive it for a while I think until I w work what body to put on it the couple I had in mind you can't get anymore.

Thanks for sharing
    Wow...hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since Roo built Truggy. Belated thanks for the kind words. And yes...Roo is still quite serious about building and now has a few more under his little belt, lol. But to this day, Truggy is still Roo's favorite truck, and Truggy now has some serious miles on the odometer. So it's time for some updates.

Let's start with some mechanical stuff. Last year, while on loan to a 1:1 instructor who was volunteering at our RC4WD Uwharrie #tinytrucks Challenge, it came back from the morning runs skipping gears (which quickly turned into a stripped gear). I assumed t-case gears since that had been the most common failure and ordered up a set of the SSD hardened steel gears. But lo and behold the t-case gears were fine. Here was the culprit:
    DSC00025.jpg

So in went a set of the Hot Racing hardened tranny and t-case gears. Those should (fingers crossed) hold up much better.

Next up on the mechanical side were the links. The Axial rod ends are...how shall we say this...not good. They got very loose and sloppy on both Truggy and my 10.2 XJ (which also spends time in the loaner fleet these days). I tried swapping out the plastic balls with the Axial steel balls, but it made very little difference because the rod ends themselves had worn out. Axial's plastic for these parts just isn't very good.

So...I decided to give the Boom Racing rod ends a shot. They make replacements for each of the 3 types (straight, offset and angled):

DSC03054.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

Initial impressions are good. They are much (MUCH) tighter than even new stock. The only disappointment out of the package was excess plastic from the mold that needed to be trimmed on many of them. I've never had that issue with Traxxas ends, but it was easy enough to trim off. The real test will be to see how they hold up. Since Truggy gets plenty of use, it shouldn't take too long to find out.

Now for the real fun. One of the motivations for us to develop the forward mount tranny cradle -- apart from the obvious desire to have the tranny not facing backwards (ahem to a certain guy) -- was wanting to make room for interiors. I had long ago promised Roo that I'd make an interior for him but never got around to it. To be honest, part of the reason was that I hadn't ever taken on scratch-building an entire interior, and perhaps I was a bit intimidated by the idea.

Well, enough of that. No more excuses. I figured I'd start with a somewhat crude cardboard template to get a feel for how this was going to work:

DSC03058.jpg

Once I had the basic idea, I started building it out in styrene from back to front:

DSC03069.jpg

Because I'm intending to mount the interior to the skids and chassis using magnets, I needed those little notches in the back of the floor pan to allow the lower screw posts in the cab back of the cab to pass through when opening and closing the lid.

More pics of the floor pan build-out:

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

I decided to mount the back wall of the interior to the cab back (rather than to the floor pan) so the back wall wouldn't interfere with the lower screw posts when opening and closing the lid. Once again, I started with a cardboard template:

DSC03088.jpg

Then in styrene:

DSC03090.jpg

Here's a test fit:

DSC03091.jpg

So far, so good. Once I got going, it turned out not to be as bad as I thought it would be. I still need to add some more details (door cards, seats, shifters, dash), and then paint and detail, but I definitely feel like the hardest part is behind me. More updates to come...

Very cool thread, from 2016 to carnage repair! So nice to see the younger generations take an interest in our hobby! Nice work on the styrene assembly too!

nice looking truck.

'tis a fine floor.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

great work little man keep up the awesome work!!
    if it ain't broke drive it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Very cool thread, from 2016 to carnage repair! So nice to see the younger generations take an interest in our hobby! Nice work on the styrene assembly too!
    Thank you, sir! It's fun watching his little mind and hands go to work, and I'm starting to enjoy working with styrene more than I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    nice looking truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    'tis a fine floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggi181 View Post
    great work little man keep up the awesome work!!
    Thanks, guys!

Time for some more updates. After creating the basic floor pan, I added a simple dash consistent with the purpose-built truggy theme:
    DSC03321.jpg

For seats, I called Brian at Exclusive R/C and asked him for a set of racing buckets custom sized for this interior. When they arrived, they were spot on:
    DSC03948.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

Luke approved. Thanks, Brian!

From there, it was time to add some details. Like shifters for shifting. Before surgery:
    DSC03375.jpg

After surgery:
    DSC03376.jpg

Axial parts trees sure do come in handy!

I enlisted help to sort out gauges:
    DSC03953.jpg

DSC03959.jpg

DSC03958.jpg

When all was said and done, Roo was quite pleased:
    DSC03951.jpg

And we've now worked our way up to 5 tech points plus small tire bonus for GCM Adventure Series next month. Hooray!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12