sbg  

RPP VS4 2018
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roo builds a II

Default Roo builds a II

Roo's been at it again. He had to re-take his swim test this year, but this time in the outdoor pool with a much longer lane (25m is a lot for a little guy). But he finally made it:
    Roo's swim test.jpg

So he got one of these:
    DSC06794.jpg

A few things about this build. First, with a last bit of travel and then school starting, there may be some delays along the way. Second, even though he has little sleeves, he has no problem hiding tricks up them. And he will have some tricks on this one. But his lips are sealed right now, so I guess we'll all just have to see what he does. Oh...and he's a better builder than I am. But that's not saying much...

Onward...Roo likes the box:
    DSC06797.jpg

But he really likes what's in the box:
    DSC06799.jpg

He knows what to look for:
    DSC06801.jpg

Time to get started:
    DSC06802.jpg

He doesn't waste much time:
    DSC06809.jpg

He now knows when to use thread lock:
    DSC06810.jpg

Grease is still fun:
    DSC06819.jpg

As are magnetized hex drivers:
    DSC06821.jpg

Next thing I knew, he had an axle:
    DSC06866.jpg

For the record, he figured out how to get the c-hubs clocked to 10 degrees faster than I did.

So it was on to the rear:
    DSC06869.jpg

DSC06874.jpg

That's it for now. I'll keep checking the garage and will report back on his progress.
    BowHouse RC, Helios RC, GCM #tinytruck Team

Awesome!! Love seeing a little guy building already.

Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    Awesome!! Love seeing a little guy building already.
    Thanks! Roo has become quite prolific at buildies.

He was at it again last night:
    DSC06881.jpg

Roo: "Dad, why did they make some of the parts red?"
    Me: "I'm not sure, Roo. Maybe they wanted to try something different. Do you like the red parts?"
    Roo: "I like them better than the boring black parts."

DSC06889.jpg

Looks like he finished the axles. Since we all want our kids to be better than we are, I'm teaching him to tidy up his work area (unlike Daddy) every time he wraps up a wrenching session:
    DSC06887.jpg

Next up will be the links. Fortunately, I just got word that Axial is finally (after over 2 months of waiting) shipping the replacement for the missing rear upper link from my first II kit. Which means I can give that to Roo to replace the link I swiped from his kit to put in mine... :twisted:

Guess who's back at it?
    DSC07071.jpg

Roo: "Dad, the instructions say to do something that won't work."
    DSC07072.jpg

No worries. Looks like he's figured it out:
    DSC07075.jpg

If anyone at Axial is reading this, Roo would be happy to proofread your instructions going forward. Better sign him up now while his services are cheap.

More to come...

Like a pro!

Good on the tools love it.
    Me & my young bloke get on the tools together it's so much fun getting them involved

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    Like a pro!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmat01 View Post
    Good on the tools love it.
    Me & my young bloke get on the tools together it's so much fun getting them involved

Thanks for sharing
    Thanks, guys. It's always cool hearing from other dads that wrench with their little ones. Tiny trucking wouldn't be the same without my tiny trucker.

Roo: "Dad, which of our SCX-10 IIs will be more of a comp rig, yours or mine?"
    Dad: "I think yours will be, Roo."
    Roo: "Does that mean yours will be more of a cruising rig, Dad?"
    Dad: "Yup. But you can still cruise with yours, Roo."
    Roo: "Goodies."

Roo: "Dad, the instructions are a little confusing."
    Dad: "Why is that, Roo?"
    Roo: "Because they say to put the links together one way, but then the picture that shows you how to install them shows them another way."
    DSC07099.jpg

Dad: "You're right, Roo. That part of the instructions is confusing. They made a mistake. Just put them together the way they look in the picture where they show you how to install them. That's the right way."

And so he did:
    DSC07094.jpg
    DSC07096.jpg

And then he remembered that the cordless driver is a bit faster:
    DSC07097.jpg

Which left him here before bedtime:
    DSC07098.jpg

Looks like shocks will be next. Roo likes shocks.

Okay...let's fill you in. When we last left off, it was time for shocks. Roo loves shocks. These went together easily enough:
    DSC07100.jpg

I've seen plenty of folks complain about them, but they seem to be doing just fine on my XJ. We'll keep them for now, but Roo is eyeing an upgrade at some point...

Anyway, after the shocks were done, it was on to the tranny. Roo needed a little bit of help deciphering the instructions, but he was able to get it all sorted out:
    DSC07127.jpg

Roo was quite excited at the one-piece BowHouse RC battery tray and servo mount, since it replaced many pieces from the kit:
    DSC07267.jpg

Since this is going to be more of a "comp rig" according to Roo, we decided to put some serious muscle into the steering. Out came the Holmes Hobbies BLS HV 500 servo:
    DSC07268.jpg

With just this weekend left to prepare for GCM Adventure Series, things got really serious. So serious I didn't have time to take the usual scores of photos. Next thing I knew, Roo got to this:
    DSC07283.jpg

Naturally, the BowHouse RC tranny cradle was a must for this build, especially given that Roo was building a truggy. That tranny just looks so much better when it's facing the right direction. And the best part is having carte blanche to do as we please in the back:
    DSC07284.jpg

While Roo was hard at work getting this together, big sis Scrunch was a big help with the paint job:
    DSC07269.jpg

And so we eventually got to here:
    DSC07288.jpg

DSC07289.jpg

With the tranny flip, there's no tranny or motor hanging out behind the cab:
    DSC07314.jpg

DSC07292.jpg

DSC07293.jpg

And to the people that don't approving of flipping the tranny, Roo says

Roo wasted no time stickering up his new truggy:
    DSC07309.jpg

DSC07307.jpg

Since the maiden voyage for this truck will be at GCM Adventure Series, it seemed appropriate to go with one of my favorite class 1 tires, the 1.55 Pit Bull Growlers. But this time, with a twist, stretched onto 1.9 GCM slots. They look great and should more than hold their own.

One of Roo's favorite features is the hinged truggy cage, making it a snap to flip the lid back:
    DSC07310.jpg

So it was time for some testing in the yard:
    https://www.facebook.com/david.kreeg...=3&theater

DSC07298.jpg

DSC07299.jpg

DSC07302.jpg

DSC07303.jpg

As you can probably tell, Roo is very pleased with his work. And so was I once he finally let me drive it for a couple of minutes. Overall balance and handling are excellent, and it just looks sweet!

There are still a few small tweaks to make before this weekend, but those won't take long. And once the dust settles after Adventure Series, it will be time to make an interior and tackle some other details. In the meantime, my favorite tiny trucker and his newest tiny truck are ready for action, and I can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast