sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GCM Review and Re-build - Vaterra Bronco

Default GCM Review and Re-build - Vaterra Bronco

Well, it's on again!

Boxes everywhere. Man.

I'd say if you want to get an RTR truck, please get one of these. Really positive first impression. I'd be REALLY happy to hand this to a kid to drive all day, or use as a booth truck to lend to people who've broken down or what have you.

Now, I'm going to do an actual review with all my thoughts about scale, etc. for instance I'd suggest they took some liberties with the body design to make it wide enough for the shortest wheelbase Ascender setup. That is, if we compare it to Rob's real one, you will see what I mean..... The Vaterra version is certainly wider and less tall than the original.. which leads me to say this: If Vaterra kept the proportions on the width to height the same as the 1:1 truck, then the result would have been a longer body, and a longer wheelbase, and a more scale truck.
    That's not much of a complaint though, as this still looks amazing

Take a look at the steering rod angle above, and below! That's CRAZY! You can also see below that they have the shocks set to capture the springs with minimal pressure, but the springs are so short, you have to have the shock adjustments WAY down the shock body just to keep the springs from falling out, and thus... super high ride height. No thanks, for me. Same thing in the rear end, from stock setup.

So, the obvious first test was to lower the shock adjusters to slam the ride height. The shocks came stock sitting at 108mm out, and after this slamming, they now sit at 90mm, which just proves that putting SCX10 shocks on this would be a smashing improvement right out of the gate!

The truck looks SO MUCH BETTER with a 90mm shock extension on it. WOW. I will do much more to make it scaled out, but this is a massive improvement already. If you don't want to change the shocks to SCX10 or other 90mm shocks, then please put limit straps on it to bring it down to 90mm, it just looks way better. On a technical level, the link geometry is so much better also! Check out how nice the front end steering linkage looks now with the lower ride height...

In other body news, the rear has no provision for lights, it's just painted lexan, but the front has a really nice bucket and a clip for the LED install, so thanks Vaterra for that nice feature.

The chassis setup is really nice, but still simple enough to wrap your head around it. Basic front crossways servo mount, floating front 'shorty pack' battery tray, decent 35t brushed motor on a one-speed trans (with 2 speed option parts available), and a simple but lipo capable crawling ESC. The radio has Spektrum stickers all over it, but feels like one notch above cheapo. But.... it's claimed to be completely waterproof and ready for your local mud bog.

Vaterra's shocks can go directly in the garbage. If you buy the kit, don't even assemble them.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Wow, that is a high rider out of the box. Would be more appropriate if it came with tractor tires.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Tire change. 1.9 old stock 5 bolt 5 slots I had laying around, covered in FunDicks, also the 1.9 variety. In changing these over, I also realized that the Vaterra staff likes suspension castor setup backwards.... people, this is wrong and makes bad steering. I will fix later.

Now, this is WAY better, but I can see way to much frame sticking out the bottom, so it's time to lower the lid.

So we start with this, and then it becomes that. I like it lower, that's for sure.

First of all, the mounts come bent from the factory, so that's great. I don't know why, but it's great.
    I cut off the lower 2 holes to get the post down far enough for the front body mounting, which is 2 holes visible up top of the shock tower. (I have body holes already, may as well do something with it for now...)

The back was easy enough to drop, and left 7 holes above the tower.

Dropping the body also means slotting the stock bumper mounts, because the body sits so low and nice now.... As shown...

I tried the stock bumper, but it's got to go now... covers half the front of the thing. So... time for a stock looking replacement!

Same thing out back. I'll make these all pretty out of aluminum I think.

A few more things to do before I'm done with the basics, like trimming the wheelbase and fixing the castor, and 100 other things. But for now, it's looking decent. I may even trim up the fender lips a bit to make it less sticking-out-ish. The tires tuck real nice though.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast