sbg  

Vaterra
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GCM's 49 Chev 3100 Panel Truck

Default GCM's 49 Chev 3100 Panel Truck

Alrighty.

Another #tinytrucks build going on here. I brought this up to the ECSC event last weekend, it's only half done, but here's somewhat where I'm going...

Cool! What scale is that? Is that one of Scaler's builds.....

Ooooooh goody! Can't wait to see this!

Oh this should be good.

So, Dana and I decided we're going to build a series of old, older, and very old 'GCM parts' delivery trucks, and this one will become the very old one.

I stumbled across this body I found in the shop storage... which I think I've had for about 6 years... and it's a 49 Chev 3100, so that helps! haha! The setup stuff is a pair of K44 axles and 1.55 Rock Crusher tires.

I put some 10 hole Mini-Mag GCM rims on there to round out the resto-mod look, as well as a new GCM printed V8 on the scale trans stuff. I think it will be lowered a bit, but other than that the fitment is pretty much bang on.

Saw this at ECSC looking forward to seeing it finished , as always Chris an amazing and inspirational build

Thanks, Kevin! I'm trying to rise to your level with this one!

With all that motor up front I decided it was time to cut off the hood...

Nice body, I love it already! Not really a fan of lexan but as a fan of true classics this will go!

How about 3D-printing the grille? Just an idea what I've seen in action (separate layers and aluminium tape) and it looked very nice on lexan body.

Have fun, will follow!

Thanks for the comments, sir!
    I'm not much of a lexan fan either, but I did manage to find this body in the bin, so it's a good place to start.
    I was considering a legitimate metal grille and some other real metal parts as well. The body will be painted on the outside so it should look decent when it's done.

I was happy to install this new radiator and fan shroud I made up. Because they're 2 parts, it's really easy to detail before assembly.

The rad fits over the steering servo nicely to cover the non-scale stuff under the hood. Easy.

You can see a bunch of the engine detail there also. Like the belts and steering pump and such. The plug wires are made from a small copper wire, which is drilled and plugged into the engine head, and then glued on top of the distributor. The rad hoses are likewise made from a larger copper wire, and the same basic ideas applied. The nice part about using the copper wire is that it holds the shape you bend into the wire, so it looks tidy for a long time.

These white parts are prototype stuff I made up for our new C-MAX chassis we are releasing soon. It's a full C-Channel frame rail setup designed for leaf springs and adjustable wheel base. The motor/trans/LRTcase also has 5 mounting positions on the length of the rail to allow an exact fit with your firewall or engine bay setup. It's really easy to use so far.

Under that scale V8 motor is a HOlmes Hobbies 13t Crawlmaster brushed motor, and the power wires are coming the back of the block. It should be easy to route the wires down and around the transmission to get them hidden away.

I decided on a solid body mounted firewall for this unit. First was a cardboard cut out trimmed to size, then traced on the styrene sheet and knife'd out.

Then I dotted it in to the lexan with CA glue and finger wiped a nice clean bead of shoeGoo all around to seal it in both sides. This works great and is super tough. The firewall also holds the hood opening in the proper shape thanks to the floppy front end now.

I then painted it flat black as well as the hand-bent front styrene rad support cover at the front of the hood (which was also shoeGoo'd in to the underside of the lexan.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast