sbg  
RPP 1

Thread: Rocket Bunny Toyota GT86/Scion FRS Drifter

Default Rocket Bunny Toyota GT86/Scion FRS Drifter

Edit! This thread is now for both the Rocket Bunny GT86 and the alternative shell on the same chassis - the Type X 180sx
    So a few months ago, I bought my second drift car - a Max Speed Technology MS-01D Brushless chassis with a Toyota GT86 body. I've always loved the GT86, but I didn't want it to stay stock for long.
    Here's how it looks currently, after a few minor mods.

I built a Styrene rollcage for it at some point.

But I've fallen in love with the Rocket Bunny bodykits for the GT86 (and every other car they make kits for), so I wanted to build a Rocket Bunny kit.

Here's a few pictures of Rocket Bunny Kits, which feature bolt-on widebody fender flairs, splitters, diffusers and spoilers.

Phase 1 Rocket Bunny Kit:

Phase 2 version:

I think I'll end up making mine look like phase 1 at the front and phase 2 at the back, because I like the phase 2 kit better, but the whole front end is different on the phase 2 version, whereas the phase 1 version uses a stock front bumper. And at this point I don't have the skills to build a completely different bumper.

I'll just be making the fender flairs, splitters and spoiler/wing.

I got motivated the other day and decided to start the wing.

Inspiration:

First I sketched up the basic shape on some clear plastic so that I could see what I was doing

Then traced it onto 1mm thick styrene and layered it up 3 or 4 layers thick.

Here it is after some sanding and more shaping.

I then added an optional little bolt-on extension thing to the top of the spoiler. I'm sure this piece (and the spoiler as a whole) serves no aerodynamic purpose, but it looks good.

Now all I need to do is paint it.

Here's some mockups.

Thanks for looking, I'm liking how it looks. Can't wait to get onto the fender flairs.

Looks cool mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannwah View Post
    Looks cool mate!
    Thanks!

Well I haven't made any real progress on this one yet, but I've decide that I want to re-paint it. I don't like the white.
    So I drew up a picture of one, and coloured it in to get an idea of how I want the RC to end up looking.

If you think I'm good at drawing, think again. I traced the outline, and drew the details. I generally count that as cheating, but I wanted an accurate representation this time, rather than a sketch.

Since the body is already painted on the inside, I'll have to paint it on the outside when I respray it. That'll scratch off easily, especially with my driving, so I bought another body for it, which will be a beater body that I can use to attempt wall taps and tandem drifting without worrying about scratching or breaking it.

Here's what I bought for the alternative shell - A Nissan 180sx Type X (also called 240sx or S13 Hatch)

And here's how I want it to look. Still deciding if I want a black roof or not.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Nice sledges you have there sir!

I would go as sleeper as possible or then shoot it totally over. That black roof is too fancy so go with the red!

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    Nice sledges you have there sir!

I would go as sleeper as possible or then shoot it totally over. That black roof is too fancy so go with the red!
    Thanks Halme!
    I was going to go all red, but I didn't want it to look exactly like the pictures on the box, so I did a black roof.
    I absolutely love how it turned out.

I have some more minor details to add, like mirrors, windscreen wipers, exhaust tip, etc. Also, the bumpers are removable so I plan on making bumper supports/radiator supports as well.

Thanks for looking