sbg  

RPP October

Thread: High $$$ paint job look on a budget

Default High $$$ paint job look on a budget

If you ever want that deep metallic candy multi stage paint job on a hard body but can't afford the automotive paints or have someone do the work? well here is a way to do it yourself on the cheep.

Now for this paint job i wanted a dark red metallic so here are the paints i used:

From left to right, Rust-oleum primer, gloss black, Metallic silver, Krylon X Metals in red, and clear glaze. Now something to note, the Krylon X Metals is no longer available. you can find them on e-bay but they will be old cans. I just bought a case that was dated 2006 and they still work fine. there are other brands making similar candy sprays in a can but I have not tried them yet

I began by cleaning the newely formed panel

then i primered it with one good coat. (note: when doing this on a hard body you will need to use a plastic safe primer)

Next is the black, 2 coats. I used black to darken the red but you could use silver, white or even another color for different effects.

Now here is the trick to get that metal flake look, I added the sliver very lightly only misting it on.

Another thing to note, once you get to this point let the paint set for at least a couple days. a week in best. this gives it time to cure. if it's not fully cured the Krylon will react to it and may cause wrinkles.

Once cured i added 2 coats of the Krylon X Metals. this is basically a candy so the more coats you put on the darker it will appear.

Yes it will look hazy but the clear will take care of that.

And here it is cleared and buffed.

and a shot of the metallic

I hope this helps some people out and encourages others to try painting themselves. you can play with base colors and the X Metals did come in blue and purple so there are many different paint jobs to be made.

Thanks for sharing!
    It looks really good.

Sure does! Wow. I'd like to see how this might work on plastic.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

I am impressed... That looks very nice.

ok I'm buying a new hilux body now...
    thanks for the tutorial.

Hmmmmm...... Nice tricks there!