sbg  

GCM Banner

Thread: Removing masking tape - when?

Default Removing masking tape - when?

Hi freaks,

Maybe one other boaring question answered a thousand times before: once more for me please: When Is the best moment to remove the masking tape on hardbodies and how long should I wait before masking a freshly primed hardbody?

Thanks for your help! Regards Jens

I personally remove masking tape around 10-20 minutes after the final coat, just to make sure it doesn't leave residue behind (and because it's fun), although you could probably wait a lot longer without any trouble, especially with good quality tape like the Tamiya stuff.

How long you wait before putting more tape on depends on the paint, laquers like Tamiya TS sprays set very quickly and you can usually put tape over it after a couple of hours. I usually wait a day just to be safe though, especially if I'm going to tape over a large area. Doesn't hurt to be extra careful! Thicker oil-based paints like Krylon need at least a day to harden before you tape over them.

I've left Tamiya branded tape on for weeks before. No issues. But I usually pull the tape when the paint isn't tacky - a few hours after painting.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

I let the base coat dry a few days before taping. Then I peel the tape off within an hour after spraying because I'm impatient and want to see how well the tape did its job.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Thanks, guys for your ideas! Impatience might be a fact for me, too... So even if the color dryes out relatively completely there wont be a problem? Thats nearly unbelievable! Regards Jens