sbg  

CKRC
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock charger

Default Rock charger

I didn't realize i never posted this thread.

Last year I slapped together a car for my buddy in 3 days to run at the ECSC in Pittsburg.

the original build can be seen here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...ml#post5270793

With ECSC 15' just around the corner, my buddy decided to compete again and he liked the charger so much he wanted to run it this year as well. but before i jump into the rebuild, here is a little update of what it's been through the past year.

The truck did very well at last years ECSC. it handled everything My buddy threw at it, including fully submerging it, and came back in one piece but a showing a few new battle scars

in short order i had the body straightened out and ready to play

Shortly thereafter I ran it on my rock pile and creek on the property. It really wheels well and is pretty much a point and shoot car going nearly everywhere i wanted to which involved places it should not have been! :lmao:

Again i straightened it and later took it to my local park for some real wheeling.

I started using standard sized 5000 Mah packs for more run time. unfortunately the strap was too short to hold them in place and i was too lazy to fix it so the loose battery started to take it's toll on the inside.

Once again she was fixed up for some more bashing.

Since then my kids (4 and 11) have been having a blast beating the tar out of it. "thumbsup"

the loose battery eventually started coming through the body so drastic measures were taken to keep the fun going.

Finally it was fixed one last time

next is the rebuild.

incidentally, throughout all this past year of relentless beating the only issue i has was a set of brushes go bad in the motor. That's it! nothing broke! :shock:

I'm beginning to really like this truck!

That poor Charger! I remember seeing this beauty last year - when it looked like a car!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    That poor Charger! I remember seeing this beauty last year - when it looked like a car!
    Don't worry it will soon look like a proper Trar again!

Let the teardown begin!

I decided to keep the body shell's understructure to give something to attach the new panels to.

and there you go all stripped down!

here is what was left

oh and you might have noticed that I removed the skid and tranny. I have a special plan for that!

Does this plan involve certian parts from rc4wd?
    please don't paint it orange

Quote Originally Posted by duellym View Post
    Does this plan involve certian parts from rc4wd?
    please don't paint it orange
    Nope. that would cost money! I don't spend money on toy trucks!

Hell no it will NOT be orange!!!!

ok, time to fill the void between the frame rails. i promised my buddy last year that i would add an interior to gain him some scale points but i needed a way to gain more room for the seats.

now i could have purchased many different set-ups to accomplish this but i have very little excess money and being a designer by trade i have the access to not only the tools to design what i want but i have access to a 3D printer as well.

Now i knew how the Dinky set-up was like and loosely based my design around that but purposefully did not look at any pictures while doing the design to try and make it my own. Here is what i came up with

the 3D printed parts came out real nice and i designed it to use the existing tranny gears.

the bottom is pretty smooth just like the SCX10 skid

the motor/spur mount simply uses the top shaft without the internal gear.

the motor mount sits nicely between the frame rails

to mount it i used the same method i did for the skid by cutting plates

and welding them to the inside of the frame

then drilled holes to secure it

the skid gets attached just as before. then i realized my error, the drive shaft angle it too steep.

no problem, i just removed one of the screws, rotated it down and drilled another hole in the mount

much better

next is the new body!

That turned out killer..
    Supper clean and functional....
    Great job.

Nicely done, Blake!
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Driver

That's nuts! Looks alot like most of my shirts...
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

I love this car. I still have to put the Amigop together

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Very nice!

I don't suppose you'd consider sharing the files for the mount/center section by any chance? I've been planning on doing pretty much the same thing for my xj, but if I don't have to design a version of my own from scratch, so much the better haha.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast