sbg  

RPP Axial 2018
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Axial Jeep Buildoff 1st Place - 1982 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Looking good. I agree, the PVC is fun to work with. Nice job on the hood.

This is soo sick! Amazing work Halme! How come your first scratch-build is looking better than my third? haha, Keep it up and I'm sure you'll do really well in this build-off!

Quote Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
    Looking good. I agree, the PVC is fun to work with. Nice job on the hood.
    Thank you, sir! Im trying my best to make this happen! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer7567 View Post
    This is soo sick! Amazing work Halme! How come your first scratch-build is looking better than my third? haha, Keep it up and I'm sure you'll do really well in this build-off!
    Thanks! Let's wait until it is ready!

It's been a lazy few weeks with this, but slowly getting something done. Or nearly done. I have been practicing this fine art of styrene bending now, and finally I think I get the basics. It's really fun and looking forward to learn more. More builds in future that means!

My grille was a bit crappy, I could live with that but it was also too thin. And a bit too small. Thanks to user fxman, I finally found better blueprints of this iconic piece of automobile sculpture and printed out a new mask. Procedure is the same as before but this time I made my grille of 4mm Forex-panel.

Most of you probably know your bendings but I still would like to show you this process how I made the fenders. The method was studied/copied from Headquakes beautiful CJ-5 build.

I cut a wooden block with a shape close enough and made some linear cuts on the other side of my 2mm styrene piece.

Heating with gun makes bending more fun. I used this little piece of styrene in front to keep the shape in place while it cools down. This is delicate business, at the right temperature I am sure that you can do amazing creatures out of it. Maybe one day..

Then few more cuts and more heat to right place to get a rough shape for my fender. After this I heated the end one more time and pressed it against my grille to get more accurate bending.

I've been having fun..

Here's a fast mock-up picture just for you! These pieces still need fitting but I think I'm getting somewhere here though the road is still a long for this body!

Thank you for following, we'll report when something noticeable happens here!

Greetings, Halme

wow! Great work Halme!
    Making the grill was my most hated part, I can't believe you were willing to make a second one! I would have probably just layered more styrene onto the back of it, to get it thicker (Which I might end up doing on mine), but it's much nicer when it's just made out of thicker material, like yours is.

Those fenders look great. I need to get a heat gun!

Great patience you have, fenders look awesome. Great detail work. Bending - forming is fun.

Awesome work!!!

looking so good. great job.

Those fenders look great! Just a little bit of sanding to take down any high spots and they'll be mint!

very nice work

Hey everybody and thanks to SBG for sharing me in FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerkind View Post
    Niiiiiiiice! Regards Jens
    ..Missed this from the previous page. Big big thank you Jens!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer7567 View Post
    Making the grill was my most hated part, I can't believe you were willing to make a second one! I would have probably just layered more styrene onto the back of it, to get it thicker
    Thank you once again Jonathon! I tought that it would be a same amount of work and my first take on grille was just too cheap. Those PVC-panels are a miracle to work with! Try them immediatly.

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Great patience you have, fenders look awesome. Great detail work. Bending - forming is fun.
    Much appreciated! I may have to redo them one more time to fit better but it's surely no problem since this is really fun. I would have never believed that I could get somekind of kicks from bending the white plastic sheets but here I am..!

Quote Originally Posted by axialjohan View Post
    Awesome work!!!
    Thanks Johan!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
    looking so good. great job.
    Happy to hear that you like it! Your works are a huge inspiration, this piece needs some metal works at some point too..!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielWGK View Post
    Those fenders look great! Just a little bit of sanding to take down any high spots and they'll be mint!
    Thanks and yeah you're right. It's near impossible to get them equal or even straight without giving ' em a little good old sanding!

Quote Originally Posted by ericdegallargue View Post
    very nice work
    Thanks, nice to hear that you like it too! Positive feedback is the best inspiration!

After figuring out how I can manage to get the front end look atleast a little bit like CJ, I decided to take some easier parts for a change. The tub was missing and I'm hoping that it will give some strengh for my build since at the moment it is a bit.. Twisty?

As I promised, this will be a sloow build. Until the end of the november atleast.

I ordered a pizza to get some fresh cardboard to make a template for my bed. While enjoying the Pizza Mexicana I searched for more references and then cut out some rough pieces. I've been also trying to locate the places for tailgate and lights. I can't wait to get to work on tailgate, looks so much fun though have no real idea how should I do it.

I have not really spent too much energy to think how I'm going to put the shocks or electronics etc. and I have this feeling that I have to pop some more holes in my creation afterwards. For me it's anyway easier to go this way and think the problems later when they occurr!

I welded some 3x3mm square styrene rims under the bed for the bottom part to sit evenly and in right height. Bended some more plastic (since its so great), welded those what I call as fishbones and got one fender finished too! Sits OK. Another one is now in the making.

Those "fishbones" came out a bit too big but.. this is a big fish!

I may have to speed up my working to get this body finished. There is a lots of work to do with chassis too. Thanks for interest and yes, you must now go off the internet and get back to your build!

Greetings, Halme

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast