sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Axial Jeep Buildoff 1st Place - 1982 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Default Axial Jeep Buildoff 1st Place - 1982 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

It's one of my favourite trucks tough I think that I've never seen one live. Maybe some other CJ's but none are like the massive, way too long and pure 80's americana Jeep CJ-8!

Other ones are almost ready with their builds but count me in to this game called scale Jeep building competition with my very first full scratch made body. Im going to take it slow and I'll be very happy if I get it done in this given time. Got some parts, a fresh SCX-10 chassis, a used gearbox, printed out a blueprint and made few measurements what hopefully are not too far away. Scale will be somewhere around 1:9.

Used to play with that Majorette CJ-7 Renegade a lot as a kid and now I'm using it as somekind of a 3D model to help me out. I know that talented 2Beers is going to build this same car also and there is also a great and informative CJ-5 build by Headquake and yeah I'm going to use those as a reference without any regret. Thanks in advance guys! Thanks for the staff of the SBG for this competition, too! It's a great idea.

Im going after the very stock look with low ground clearance and on leaf springs so this won't probably be the most capable offroader.

This may also end up in total disaster but hey at least I died trying!

I'll try to update atleast weekly!

Greetings and now go back to build, Halme

Oh Yaaaaaaaaaa.....
    You just made this even more exciting for me.....
    Great taste in Jeeps by the way...lol.
    Going to be so neat to watch a different point of view and Ideas on this critter.

Looking forward to more... Bring the inspiration...
    Run what Ya Brung.

Heck yeah! It's about time you entered! Cant wait to see more progress!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
    Looking forward to more... Bring the inspiration...
    Thanks my friend, been lurking your project since you started so we go vice versa But I'm just starting to get deeper into this hobby. More practice, never enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer7567 View Post
    Heck yeah! It's about time you entered! Cant wait to see more progress!
    Yeah you are absolutely right! I can't let you have all the fun here!

Started with the mask.. I'm following a one good advice I got from older colleque many years back; "Whatever you do, do the most difficult part first and then rest will be easy". Mask vs. fenders and the hood will be the most challenging parts so they must be taken down first!

Printed out the mask, cut it out and glued to 2mm styrene and now I'm just trying to stay in tolerance.

Slowly... Slowly.. And it will be good!

Looking good! Good advice, I should get to work on the front of mine soon.

Where does all the time go?

I've made the grille almost ready without very big mistakes so far, or at least my unexperienced eye cannot see them. Needs a little filler tough, and holes for turning lights. Most of the stuff in this "scale building" is pretty new and exciting for me but I find it very fascinating and interesting.

I've done few versions of the hood and been practicing the fender-bendering. Results are encouraging but I have nothing to show you guys yet. I think you all know what melted pieces of plastic look like. I want the hood to be curved like in a real thing, so I dont want to make shortcuts here.
    Yet.

To achieve some progress, I started to make first layer of body panels. Trying to cut straight lines here.

After delicate cutting process with old scissors I glued the panels together with a little drops of glue and cut & sanded them to be copies of each other. Sanding is fun - or is my life nowadays just boring?

Of course I could not resist to check how it would look like and made some fast supportive pieces in near correct width. These are only for building process and will be removed later.

If I look my creation on axles and Land Rover wheels with Dirt Grabber tires from very very far away... I may see a distant reflection of a Jeep truck lurking somewhere in there!

Recommendations for wheel and tire setup will be received. I think that 1.9" is just a bit too big for what I'm trying to achieve here.

Thanks for watching, comments and feedback is very welcome!

- Halme

Looking good Halme, watching with interest!

Your progressing right along. Great start.
    Once you start building from scratch.... theirs no going back...LOL.
    I too enjoy sanding .. especially when in the zone, as I call it.
    I'm really liking the wheel and tire choice of the land rovers.... Once the body is up in stock ride position, they may look even better.
    Be interesting to see what you come up with. More please.
    Run what Ya Brung.

Looking good! The grill looks great! I may have to steal that technique for my grill when I get to it.
    How easy is the thread cutting technique? And what kind of thread do you use?
    As for wheel and tire combo, I am also liking the land rover wheels and those tires. I agree with 2Beers, if you're running the body a little higher than it is in that photo, then the 1.9s will look fine. If you're wanting to run it really low, then maybe 1.55s would be better. Or you could try stretch 1.55 tires over 1.9 wheels? I've never tried it, but I know some people have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnuggets View Post
    Looking good Halme, watching with interest!
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
    Your progressing right along. Great start.
    Once you start building from scratch.... theirs no going back...LOL.
    I too enjoy sanding .. especially when in the zone, as I call it.
    I'm really liking the wheel and tire choice of the land rovers.... Once the body is up in stock ride position, they may look even better.
    Be interesting to see what you come up with. More please.
    Thanks 2beers! You are so correct here! I cant stop.. like I would not have a ton of other less-important stuff to do but who doesn't! I will keep the tires for now but wouldn't mind to have something fancier because 80's were fancy time.

Sanding at the zone gives me chills..!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer7567 View Post
    Looking good! The grill looks great! I may have to steal that technique for my grill when I get to it.
    How easy is the thread cutting technique? And what kind of thread do you use?
    Or you could try stretch 1.55 tires over 1.9 wheels? I've never tried it, but I know some people have done it.
    Thread cutting is fun and very very easy. You should be using polyester thread and give it a little pressure all the time when working. Once you feel that the thread is getting thin it's time to pull out some fresh thread and keep repeating. I always leave ~0,5mm working marginal because everything must be sanded anyway.

Thanks for the tip with the wheels, it's not a bad idea and I will keep it in my mind!

Did something else for a day and when I finally got back to my build I saw it immediatly. It's too wide! Did a fast check with measurements and yep, it was officially too wide. Reduced the width and now it looks much better and more in correct dimensions.

Here is also some bending and welding, hope you like it.

Greetings, Halme

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast