sbg  

RC4WD
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axial Jeep Build Off - Mud Jeep

I started to mess with this Mud Jeep a bit. Got the axles built and did some other work on the frame as well.

I started off with the RCbros mud truck lift bracket thingy for the SCX, and sent them for Black Anodize finish, the bright silver wasn't for me. They work pretty good to keep stuff in line and straight, so I'm happy about that. I added a GCM front servo mount on the front of the frame, and put the back brace in wrong to give the last hole on the RCbros bracket something to bite into. I also started assembling the Axial trans and then the R4 trans from RC4wd as well.

I decided they needed to get married.

The first step was to grind off the bearing capture on the forward part of the Axial trans. You'll see why later.

Next was to take the lower gear from the GCM LRTcase kit and use it with the Axial trans spur shaft... It goes through the back of the R4 trans case, and after some frigging around, I figured out the threaded portion had to be cut off, and a flat ground on the shaft for the new lower gear.

The R4 trans now looks like this below, and there's the hole showing there for the top gear drive pin on the Axial trans....

After shaving off that part of the Axial trans gear housing, you can now slide the trans on 'too far' to get the pin back into the Axial trans top gear, and then 'pull it back' to get everything in line again. It wasn't that hard, really, but that part on the case had to be shaved down to make it work at all. There's no space.
    The trans and 't-case' now go in the truck as if the thing had a super dropped tcase. The motor and R4 trans are in the proper scale spot actually.

Next thing to do was cut off the back 2 holes on the SCX frame. It was too long to fit under the jeep body, so about a half inch cut off will be perfect.

The SCX frame is just a tiny bit perfectly too narrow to fit around the back posts on the china JK body, so I notched out the sides of the post just a bit to slide the frame rails right on through, for an automatic body mount system HAHA. Looks good.

I also notched out a tiny bit of the tunnel area to fit the R4 trans under the center console in the Jeep. Fits good.

I'm hoping to belcrank the steering on this truck and have the steering servo sit beside the lower portion of the Axial trans there, and run the pushrod along the 3rd link on the front axle. I think there's enough room to do all that under here. Should be super clean looking I hope.

Sits pretty good, for a Mud Jeep.

Well that there is some spectacular engineering. Chalk one up for ingenuity!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Lots of room for mud!

Well, that's some mighty fine frigging around. And I didn't know they made a mud truck conversion kit. I must acquire one now!
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Well, that's some mighty fine frigging around. And I didn't know they made a mud truck conversion kit. I must acquire one now!
    You didn't? Hadn't we spoke about this? Seems like a nicely built bit of bits.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    You didn't? Hadn't we spoke about this? Seems like a nicely built bit of bits.
    I don't think so. We generally don't talk about mud unless it's about hating mud or holding beers for watching things and truck nutz.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

So, I did a whole bunch on this recently.. first off I aligned the motor/trans with the Axial trans/tcase thingy now, and got the little mount plate bolts welded in.

Double check to make sure stuff still is in good alignment with the body...

I can also use the Axial stock front JK bumper on this, thanks to sticking the GCM front SCX servo-bumper mount on the frame rails.

I started playing with the scale V8 installation as well, and got that on the motor can to check some fitment and stuff. This is available already at the shapeways.com/gcmracing store.

This should be pretty cool to see through the front fender gaps, as I'm not convinced I'll cut off the hood just yet.... Maybe...
    I do know I'm routing the exhaust out the sides of the truck like a sidepipe sort of thing.. Just to make sure the people get a real good burn trying to climb in to the thing.

One thing I sort of like about these scale motor kits is they force you to do clean wiring and size stuff properly. There's not much room in the motor for the wiring, and it HAS to come up out the top and center. In the end you inevitably end up with a clean and tidy wiring job, which I like.

The Tekin FX-R will sit on the firewall above the right exhaust, and the power wires head down the right frame rail (so far, anyway)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast