sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Question for experienced builders (styrene bodies)

Default Question for experienced builders (styrene bodies)

Hi guys --

Mods: wasn't sure where to post this. If it must be moved, I understand!

I'm thinking of tackling the project below for my next styrene build (too intimidated to post my first build -- it's over on rccrawler). Would it be better to create/cut the roof and pillars completely separate from the main body panels? Or, do you think it would be ok to incorporate them into the side templates as one piece? I hope that makes sense. I've noticed Headquake often creates the roof and pillars separate from the main body. Is there a reason for this? However, I've also noticed 2Beers and Sean seem to include them in the main side panels, so I'm confused!

Oh, and since this would be based on a concept vehicle, I may change a couple of things up.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeep-chief-concept-04-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	13418

Moved it for you.

This comes down to personal preference. I try to build the roof and pillars separate from each other, mainly to keep it simple, and allow me to finesse the angles that those things would taper. I reinforce the interior of the pillars to keep it strong from the inside. Tends to work for me. In fact, go through my FJ60 and the Blizzard/Patrol threads to see two different ways of separate tops.

And, cool 2nd build. Lots of straight!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Thanks! Still finding my way around here. Moving the thread and the tips are much appreciated!

Yes, straight lines are GOOD for a noob. It's either this Jeep concept or an m37 Power Wagon with a slight chop on the greenhouse.

Thanks again,
    Steve

If you could find a New Bright JK it would be a good base. I reckon that's what they built that off of.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

You're correct n00b, in watching the video of it, they mentioned it was built off of the JK. With the prices those New Bright bodies go for, I'll just give the scratchbuilding a 2nd attempt. It's much cheaper that way as I already have the styrene!

Thanks!
    Steve