sbg  
LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R|M|D's Deuce and a Half

Default R|M|D's Deuce and a Half

Well.....I was itching to build something different(for me) so I decided to go the 6x6 route. Yeah....I know its not anything that hasn't been done before, so I have my work cut out to make it look good! I found a great deal on a FB group of a guy selling an RC4WD Beast chassis with an R2 Transmission and SCX10 axles with a bone stock untouched Bullhead body. Perfect for a Deuce and a Half inspired build.

My intention is to just keep that general style, it won't be exact but I will try to keep the M35a2 influences. Framed bed, bed cover...etc.

So here it is as I received it earlier this evening along with a few things I got from RPP in anticipation of its arrival.

First thing is the front end, the bullhead front grill is very flat and fake looking, not to mention I want to push more toward the M35a2 look and pull away from the Peterbuilt look of the bullhead body. The front end on the M35a2 is far different. So I started in with some ABS and steel mesh.

That's was my stopping point for last night, had to wait for the putty to dry and become sandable.

Today I got to finish sanding on the front end then paint and weathering.

OD Green basecoat done.

Test fitting the grill after paint.

Next I decided to make a radiator to go behind the grill using cut down zip ties.

Every military vehicle need markings. For the letters & numbers I used stickers and then airbrushed and removed the stickers.

And then made a stencil to use for the door stars. After it was somewhat dry I used a semi stiff brush to create some scratch marks on them.

Next was my weathering process. For a full tutorial on that click here.

After that I fabricated windows and a windshield out of some fairly thick polycarbonate. Total pain in the ass with the bent windshield and curved sunroof, but I hate the look of the tinted windows that are made for it. Plus I plan to build a full detailed interior and want to show it off!

And lastly for the body was to do the airbrush weathering, I stayed fairly light with it but enough to make it noticeable. I of course masked the windshield for wiper marks for this step.(still need to make wipers)

I have also started tearing apart the frame to paint it as well....but more on that later.

Looks sweet! Cant wait to see more

Sharp start sir. Nice work on the grille.

Any chance the body could come down a bit on the frame?
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

Great build so far. I love a good 6wd build! How do you find the beast chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Sharp start sir. Nice work on the grille.

Any chance the body could come down a bit on the frame?
    Thanks. I can only bring it down about 1/4" before the back of the cab sits on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by luke1983 View Post
    Great build so far. I love a good 6wd build! How do you find the beast chassis?
    Thanks! I have always wanted a 6x6 or 8x8 and sold my Yota with the intention to build one. I was going to do a scratch build but then a guy on one of the fb groups had this for sale RTR with a completely untouched body so I jumped on it. Lots of things need to be reworked but it was a great way to get the axles/trans/chassis/stock body all as one package. But stupid things like he had the servo on the axle when the beast chassis has built in chassis mount.....need to rework the links...etc.

Loving the look of the truck. Slick idea with the front end to make it different looking. Doing a Bullhead 6x6 build myself and was going to leave the front pretty much stock but now I am thinking of still using the stock grill but reworking it a bit. And maybe replace the square headlights with round.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidubic View Post
    Loving the look of the truck. Slick idea with the front end to make it different looking. Doing a Bullhead 6x6 build myself and was going to leave the front pretty much stock but now I am thinking of still using the stock grill but reworking it a bit. And maybe replace the square headlights with round.
    Yeah, I ordered the grill pack and was intending to use it, but one I put it on it was just too Peterbuilt for my taste.

Some pics from running it today. Loving this thing!

Well, today I decided I didn't like the back end being completely bare and wanted something scale until I can get a proper bed built. So I decided to make a 5th wheel plate.

1:1

Here is what I came up with.

And then I got a start on the front bumper.

What I have so far. Still needs to be welded together, it is just a mockup, and there will be a winch on it as well like in the 1:1 photo.

Still waiting on access to a buddies welder for my bumper, but I did start working on the interior. I got the floor plate done, bolts to the top of the transmission. And I got a start on the dash. Its not perfectly scale by any means, but I tried to keep the general look and feel. I am honestly not too used to working with styrene so I thought it turned out pretty decent.

test fit and test fir and test fit....

I love the weathering on that dash! and the fifth wheel is great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast