sbg  

RPP Roll out of Summer 2018

Thread: Weathering chrome

Default Weathering chrome

Just wondering if anyone on here has a good method for making chrome not so pretty. I'm doing a Gelande D90 and am pretty happy with the body but the chrome stands out like a sore thumb. The body is dark so i think blacking out the chrome would look dumb. I also thought of maybe doing the chrome pieces in white. Tia.

Ive been thinking about your question.
    Just an Idea... Maybe take a piece of Chrome parts tree piece and set inside a zip lock baggy with some normal supper glue on card stock away from the piece. Seal and let sit.
    I think most of us know about the white glaze film that can occur from super glue.
    Then if it works... Maybe some dull coat to seal and a wash of Brown and Black ...lightly or multiple coats.
    Just an Idea........ Great question for us that like the realistic weathering.

The chrome on the D90 is particularly "chromey". Perhaps try spraying it with a satin clear coat to take the edge off? The real trucks hardly ever used chrome - in fact, I don't think they were ever chrome. I've seen flat black, matte silver, and gloss black, but never chrome.

I'd satin clear it to differentiate yourself. Maybe toss a few brushstrokes of a black wash over top to give it some age.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Help from the masters. What do you guys think about a weathered flat white? I can post up the body when i get home.

That could be cool. Definitely different. I say go for it.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Heres the truck as it sets. Still have to shoot a flat clear coat.

**Update**

Sprayed the chrome white, little bit of Tamiya weathering powder for rust, and then black washed the whole thing.

But it doesn't look bad at all! Unique approach.

Greetings, Halme

Awesome...... Turned out really nice.
    Its a small attention to detail most will miss.. But it brings a hole new level to a project.
    Great Job...... I really like the vents especially.

Thank you guys. Im gonna clear it flat tonight i hope. Pretty excited to get this one done. I think i have a yota waiting for me at home.