sbg  

RPP Roll out of Summer 2018
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Stages of Hardbody Paint Weathering

Thanks for sharing the techniques.

Most recent of my rigs I used this method on. Being a D90 Expedition rig I went pretty heavy as it would be in real life. I also didn't use any rust as these are aluminum bodies on the real ones.

After seeing this, I might just re-tape my windshield, and re-spray it like that. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by RMD Photography View Post
    Most recent of my rigs I used this method on. Being a D90 Expedition rig I went pretty heavy as it would be in real life. I also didn't use any rust as these are aluminum bodies on the real ones.
    Looks fantastic, and thanks for the write up I may actually have ago at weathering my next build using this technique.

Not all a D90 body is aluminium the panel (scuttle i guess) under the windscreen and that the doors bolt to is steel and is a very common rust trap on 1:1's. Unless of course it's had the panel galvanised during a rebuild.

Do you clear your body before you start weathering or after? I am getting ready to start this process. I am have vallejo pigments and a rustall kit. But haven't put clear coat on yet.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric3007 View Post
    Do you clear your body before you start weathering or after? I am getting ready to start this process. I am have vallejo pigments and a rustall kit. But haven't put clear coat on yet.
    Clear coating is the last layer to add so do all the painting and weathering stuff before. I've had back luck with one component (spray can) lacquers so I dont use them at all. I prefer wax as a last layer.

Remember that these sprayable coatings also melt and spoil all the clear plastics like all the other rattle can stuff does!

So you just use regulator auto was?

*wax

Yes that should work! Use cottonbuds in difficult areas like corners etc.

Nothing against clear coating of course, it just has to be done right.

Yes I agree. Weathering is a whole new thing to me. So I am trying to soak up as much info as I can before I mess up a good paint job. Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast