sbg  

RPP 2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scx10 Beetle

Had a problem with the magnets holding down the front of the body. My original ones weren't strong enough. I put on some larger magnets but they too would pop off, the body would lift and then snap back down again. The velcro I've added to the back to replace the posts is really strong so I thought do the same on the front. Added a cross member on the front of the front suspension, put some velcro on there and on the body and it holds great. You can lift the whole car by the body now. Don't think it'll be popping off anymore.

So I've never been happy with this body because of the fender shape and how they fit the wheels. Because I'm always trying to do things that I have no idea of what I'm getting into I've decided to try to make a Sintra (Komacel) version of this thing.

First I taped the inside of a spare Carisma Beetle that I happen to have hidden away. I then traced the side of the side panel onto the tape.

Them using a pencil I rubbed where the windows are.

i stuck the tape on a hunk of 2mm Sintra and used my son's (he's 10, he has all the good tools) scissors to cut it out. Worked like a charm.

Then I took a knife to the windows.

Now it sits for a while while I sleep and work and do all those other things one must do.

Got the one side cut out.

Then I traced it onto another piece of 2mm Sintra. Once both are cut out I'll sand them together to get the same shape on both.

Then, it's on to the roof and fenders and then to try to bend them all to the correct shape. Wish me luck!

Looks like I'm making a semi-scale model of a lexan model of a car. I'm going to modify those fender arches to better fit the wheels I want to put on.

I think I'm going to get some hydrocal or plaster of Paris and make a cast of the new lexan body I have to mold the curves into the roof and hood. Has anyone tried this?

Offer is still good on the hubcaps. Reworked them a bit for the Bus project. I'll post a pic here (if you don't mind) when I'm done.

Sorry Dave. Totally slipped my mind. I'll send you the measurements in a bit. Post away.

Finally got around to working on the Bug again. It's been a long time between posts! The Sintra body is on the back burner for a while. But...

My lovely wife got me a GCM Racing front mount kit last Christmas. Installed it a couple of months back. The quality is excellent, everything went together just fine. Motor and transmission are moved under the hood. Probably should have gone backwards and put the motor in the back where it belongs in a Beetle.

I've had this Pro-Line PL-C floor pan kicking around for years and finally trimmed it to fit the Bug body and chassis with the new motor mount. I'd trimmed it before to fit a stock Dingo so they are bits missing that I would have left on otherwise. I think it needs a transmission tunnel to cover more of the working bits.

I painted the aluminum plate to match. It blends in pretty well. The battery will sit across where the back seat would be.

Got the driver's seat stuck in with some servo tape. Can't find the darned steering wheel. It's lost somewhere in the morass of my bench. I'll find it though.

I cut out the driver's window as well. Lets you see a bit more detail inside.

Finally glued in the dashboard. I added some ball head pins for the knobs. I may paint them yet to match the dash.

Still more to come.

Cheers eh,

Todd
    Last edited by tossedman; 05-13-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Had a second thought...

That's one big bug! It looks like a real fun machine!
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER SBG MODERATOR

It is fun. Thinking it needs an SCX10 II chassis under it though. I'd like it to have a lot better turning radius.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345