sbg  
LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GCM Raven #3 - CrossCanyon JK Blue Rebuild

Default GCM Raven #3 - CrossCanyon JK Blue Rebuild

This new project is truly a rebuild in every sense of the word.
    The body is re-used from a truck we bought from Matt a good while ago. The chassis is a CrossCanyon Ultimate that was under my big Ford for a short while. The wheels are stolen from the recently melted Raven Bee, and the axles were under last year's class 2 comp truck. Yep, it's a bag of stuff for sure!

So far, we've got this giant mess.. and a pretty good looking mess at that!

The kit is the standard assembly. Hitec servo, SCX axles with some HD gears, I will stick on some aluminum Cs and Hubs from the Raven #2 if I feel the need. This one won't likely get any comp action.

The panhard kits really do work with only one screw. It's funny, but it's true! I just realized looking at the sticker on the servo it's 3 years old also. Oh, and the motor was from my old wraith, and then completely rebuilt by my motor man locally. Like I said, it's a bag of everything!

I got a recycled BRXL from Oliver in the summer, and put that in here, along with the basic 3ch RX from FlySky. I went for the motor-forward setup, and the mount-back position for this build (there's 4 possible setups). I'm going to try to get the battery mounted just behind the front towers in a bracket of some kind.

All the new production CrossCanyon frames have the mount holes for the Dinky R/C Cantilever setup now, so I clipped off the rear shock towers and put on the DRC suspension. I really like using this wherever there's links on the truck rear end.

Taking down the Raven #2 reminded me that I used dogbones a while back for my driveline needs. Generally I took 2 of them and cut them to fit together, and steel welded them back together to my own length. It was a $10 solution for custom shaft lengths before there were many options available.. think 5 years ago... so I did the same thing here. 2 dogbones, cut to size, welded, and ended up being a perfect end to end 115mm long with the Traxxas 5163 cups on either end to make it drive.

I even re-used the BURNT driveshafts off the Raven #2 as well. Nice.

Nice Chris! I'm happy to finally see that body being used.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

I was wondering what happened to that body, I love that blue!
    Cats keeps steeling my zip ties and styrene rods

Ahh very nice franken jeep
    Rock beach customs/Socrawl.com team driver/Gcmracing team driver

Update!

Front bumper stolen from the Raven #2 is now on #3. Easy.

Interestingly enough, with the stance and full width bumpers, this would easily be converted to Class 1 with just a tire change. Hmmmmmmm....

Out back..

As I'm putting on this fantastic new hitch receiver from Santa, I had to find a way of matching it all up nice and stock-ish looking. The result was a brain wave and a band saw.

The idea I had was to slice a slot into the delrin rear bumper (easy) and then 'hook' the hitch receiver into it so it will sit nice and flush, like a good hitch should...
    The bumper attachment bracket will capture all of these things together, mounting the bumper on the frame, hooking the hitch parts to the bumper/frame, and acting as the rear body mount all that the same time.

Clean!!!!
    Rock beach customs/Socrawl.com team driver/Gcmracing team driver

Not that I like Jeeps all that much, but I do miss this one. Nice looking stuff so far Chris.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast