sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GCM's 1984 M1009 Blazer Build

Default GCM's 1984 M1009 Blazer Build

Hey, everyone.

It's time for a build thread on this truck I'm playing with. I'll try to space it out a bit, as there's a ton already done, and I'd like to put in the details on the thread.

First, lets start with a Blazer Kit from Vaterra:

That got some GCM parts added, a 2 speed Twin Hammer Transmission, Dinky R/C Cantilever Kit out back, Dirt Grabber Tires, 90mm front shocks, servo, 35t brushed motor, 3s Lipo, BRXL, HeyOK LED switch, HeyOK Relay Winch controller, 9g Shifter servo, and MIP shafts. Some other stuff I'll talk about later. So, it looks like this now, and it's a full running truck with a 2 speed on 3s. FUN.

3S is for babies. 4S minimum on all my turks from here on out.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

I'm a BaBy, sir. Still not graduated!

I'm aiming for a look and feel like this one here:

The full interior I want to use in this truck requires some changes to the setup... so I took after the technical stuff first, so I can build around that.

First off, I dropped the stock shocks on the truck, including the rear shock towers.. which are like Cell Phone Towers... The front got some 90mm shocks, and the rear got a canti kit to flatten things out. This required change required some other things to change also.. considering the limitations of the Blazer kit and the stock 109mm shocks front and back.

I used an Axial SCX radio box, bolted beside the steering servo, in the same mount bar. Then added some styrene to cover the spur and pinion (from wires) and then made up a battery holder inside the box.

This worked out very cool, because the whole running gear on the truck, electrics included, are in the nose. ALL OF IT. The 3s battery pops out in a second for a quick change, and the whole electronics is up front beside it, so when it's covered... it's all covered.

Slamming the truck this far required a bit of a steering bar drop, so I added a 3mm spacer to the link, under the high-steer arm. It's perfect now. I also added a 3mm spacer TO the steering bar in order to get the proper toe setting and steering deflection on the truck.. which is also perfect now.

The slammed truck means I had some link issues also. The panhard was made to center the axle with a 109mm long shock, so I took 3mm OUT of the panhard length. Done. I also had the front lower links hitting the frame and the panhard rod hitting the servo, so I made a 1 deg bend in those to clear stuff. Done. Then I shortened the front top link 3mm to get a proper castor angle on the front hubs. Done. These are the sorts of things that drove me mad about this kit, but they are easily fixed with some noodle power.

The cool thing is now the truck is completely running, steering, shifting, and zooming around, and it doesn't require any other bodywork or interior or any details to run. MEANING... I can build multiple bodies for this truck now, and nothing on the running gear has to change at all! YAY! Plus I got to drive it around. HAHA

I got the clear lid notched out a bit around the bumper mount posts on the truck so I can 'fit check' it and have a sort of standard to go by, where it will sit time after time after time, and be in the same place. This works great to keep the thing from flopping around while I'm trying to measure stuff and build stuff... like measuring this chuck of PopCorner Box I used for a template. (please sit down, I'm about to use styrene....)

i can't wait to see all the cool things you do with this chassis. I'm picking mine up on sunday, sunday, sunday

I'm in the edge of my seat.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Right on Chris. Always fun to watch your noodle powers. Gonna be a cool ride.

Thanks, guys! It's so fun to build tiny trucks!

I am over the styrene-fobia now. It's official. For some reason having a bunch of flat sheets didn't make me confident, but as soon as I bought this little 3/8 corner angle, my whole attitude changed! It's like lego to me now. So funny!

So.. I dropped on a couple of brackets on the frame, then shooGoo'd some 2.75 x 7 inch long flat plates to the brackets, and they match the factory 'floor' position, according to the door sills on the body etc. Very happy.

After proving the template worked, I cut some flat inside panels, made some angle braces up at the dash and tailgate, mostly as a support only, and likely temporary. The rear bumper bolts also got these temporary brackets so I can slide on and off the body real easy and get it lined up well and fast for this phase of on-off-on-off interior work. It's very handy that the body is clear and I can match interior lines with window lines etc with less guess work. This is why I like lexan somedays.

I needed some inner fenders, so.. I cut some stuff and rolled it and put elastics on it. Then with some heat they eventually stayed that way and turned into some cool half moon shapes so I can use them.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast