sbg  

CKRC
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: DougJ's Trusty Rusty TF2

I've just put a set of the Bowhouse mounts on my JDM TF2 too, two to too 2. Aswell...

It's a massive improvement over the stock geometry, i'm now running the full set of stock leaves in the rear (no internal shock springs) and it's driving really nicely. A bit more drive time and I think it'll only get better.
    Last edited by delux; 05-26-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

Thanks for sharing the update. Glad to hear you guys are liking the mounts and skids!
    BowHouse RC, GCM #tinytruck Team, Team Helios RC

Default The TF2 Hits the Beach!

Quote Originally Posted by delux View Post
    I've just put a set of the Bowhouse mounts on my JDM TF2 too, two to too 2. Aswell...

It's a massive improvement over the stock geometry, i'm now running the full set of stock leaves in the rear (no internal shock springs) and it's driving really nicely. A bit more drive time and I think it'll only get better.
    It seems SO much better so far. I'm a happy camper!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
    Thanks for sharing the update. Glad to hear you guys are liking the mounts and skids!
    Thanks for making great products! I printed a BowHouse sticker for the tailgate, if I ever get to meet you guys in person I'll replace it with a real one.

As promised, the TF2 got to play in the sand today! First though, I made some little changes.

I ground down the flat edge on the rear fenders, which gave me about 3mm of extra space for the tire. I didn't change the width of the fenders at all, just the size of the opening. The front fenders don't need to be trimmed, but I may do them anyways for visual consistency.

With the bigger openings it's a little easier to see the ugly gap between the bed and frame, so I finally got off my butt and made some panels to hide that. They're just styrene, utilizing the two unused screw holes in the frame rails.

Lastly, here's an update on the BowHouse skidplate, since we were discussing BowHouse parts earlier. Looks like it's wearing similarly to the aluminum skid, so I'm not too concerned about durability. Most importantly, this material remains slippery even when scratched, so it slides over rocks very well.

Alright, now on to the fun stuff! I added a new 2018 oversand permit (they expire on March 31, gotta stay ahead of that deadline!) and hit the beach for some sandy driving. It wasn't great in the soft, dry sand, but not too bad either. It was able to make slow but steady forward progress and not dig in as long as I didn't drive straight uphill.

Separating the dry and wet sand was this little dropoff, which was fun to slide down.

The wet, packed sand was much better. No risk of digging in here.

I drove up and down the beach a good ways. The truck's not fast enough for any crazy rooster tails or donuts, but I had fun bouncing through the footprints in the sand.

Don't think I didn't get any crawling in though! No rocks, but there was plenty of driftwood.

This photo shows the new light-blockers under the bed. They work great!

I had a great time driving it on the sand. It's definitely a different kind of challenge than the usual rocks and roots I drive over on my trail. I'm glad I was able to finally get this truck out into some really different terrain.

From the little bit of driftwood crawling I did, I can already tell that the rear suspension is working better than before. It seems like it was able to use the full range of travel. These springs are about as soft as they're going to get, and this truck is starting to feel really dialed. I'm really looking forward to testing it properly on the trail.

Thanks for reading!

Some great new pictures DougJ. What beach is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Some great new pictures DougJ. What beach is this?
    Thank you! That was at a private residential beach in Madison (I was visiting family), it's a little ways east of Hammonasset.

So, I've been away from the forums for a bit, but I've finally got something new to show. I had this old Tamiya TLU-01 sitting around for years that had a power connector problem. I never bothered fixing it because I always thought the cool blue LEDs looked super weird on this old truck, but I recently remembered that Tamiya sells warm white LEDs for this now. I dug it out of my RC parts junkyard and solved the power issue (the contacts in the plug weren't making a good connection and just needed bending), and ordered some lights.

Here's what arrived today: "Halogen" white LEDs in the 5mm variety, and some 3mm reds for the taillights. They come with sticky-backed wire clips too, which is welcome considering the ridiculous price tag.

Next to the standard LEDs the color difference is pretty significant. Nice and yellowy, perfect for old trucks.

After wrestling with the wiring for a bit, here's what we get:

Nice! The warm light is very convincing, without all the hassle of wiring up grain-of-wheat-bulbs. The tails are a little bright I think, but I did a quick test outside and they look excellent in daylight. The camera makes them look a little worse. I'll need to paint the backs of them black because there's a bit of light bleed, but otherwise they add some good visual flair to the truck.

It's supposed to rain on and off here for the next couple of days. Stay tuned for more trail photos when the weather gets a little nicer!

Although I have personally never done it, one can solder in a resistor in-line to cut down on the power going to the LED's. Depending on which one you use, you might be able to find that perfect brightness...

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Although I have personally never done it, one can solder in a resistor in-line to cut down on the power going to the LED's. Depending on which one you use, you might be able to find that perfect brightness...
    After some testing outside, both at night and during the day, I think the tails are actually pretty good. They look brighter on camera but they're pretty spot-on in person, so no modification necessary!

It finally stopped raining, so here's some trail photos with the new lights. I think it looks quite good!

I painted the backs of the LEDs black to reduce light bleed, and while there's a couple spots I can't get due to the way the light buckets are designed, overall it's pretty good. The yellowy headlights look right at home on this truck.

I didn't know Tamiya made those, you're right they look spot on in an old rig like this! I might need to find myself some too.

Great pics as always too!
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

Nice warming glowing warming glow
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Driver

Never knew about those front LED lights, just hit ebay and added them to my watch list. its always made me crazy cause most people have the stock crappy head lights on their Toyotas (just like I do on my 83) so this is a great solution to cutting down on the super bright LED light look. trucks looking good
    RC4WD Team Builder/driver
    83 Toyota SR5 Hilux 35s, locked, doubler/4:1

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast