sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: DougJ's Trusty Rusty TF2

Quote Originally Posted by delux View Post
    I didn't know Tamiya made those, you're right they look spot on in an old rig like this! I might need to find myself some too.

Great pics as always too!
    Thank you! They're pricey for what is essentially just a set of warm LEDs with proprietary connectors (gotta pay the Tamiya Tax!), but they certainly do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Nice warming glowing warming glow
    It glows. Warmingly!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
    Never knew about those front LED lights, just hit ebay and added them to my watch list. its always made me crazy cause most people have the stock crappy head lights on their Toyotas (just like I do on my 83) so this is a great solution to cutting down on the super bright LED light look. trucks looking good
    I can't stand cool LEDs in old trucks, I'd rather have no lights at all than lights that look wrong. These are much easier than wiring up grain of wheat bulbs with the right resistors and whatnot.

So, I've been hemming and hawing about new tires lately. I really do like the look of the Stompers though, so I don't know if I want to give them up. Plus, the 1.55 Rock Beasts I was considering are not cheap, so I decided I'd try to squeeze as much out of these old shoes as I can without spending any money.

As you can see the side lugs are pretty rashed, but the center lugs are still sharp, meaning they're not doing much.

I liked the way 1BadJeepBruiser cut the tires on his 4-door TF2, so I decided to do the same. All I'm doing is cutting the center lugs in half to give them more open space. Pretty easy to do, just tedious.

They still look like Super Swampers, which makes me happy. I don't want to fundamentally change the look of the tires. By testing the grip with my finger it does feel like it bites and flexes better, but the true test will be on the trail.

I also swapped the foams with the ones from the Mud Thrashers I have lying around. They're a tiny but smaller, so I think they make the tread a little more compliant, but it's not a big difference. Like I said, I want to improve things without spending money, so I'm using what I've got already.

I've got a lot of Dremel work ahead of me, but I'll report back when I can trail test all 4 tires together.

You can't give up on the Stompers! You must run them until they're bald.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

Why is this build in the photo section?! Moved!

EDIT: Oh, because it's a photo thread. DUH! Moved back!
    Last edited by imthatguy; 08-09-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    You can't give up on the Stompers! You must run them until they're bald.
    I'm trying my best to wear them to the cords, trust me!
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Why is this build in the photo section?! Moved!

EDIT: Oh, because it's a photo thread. DUH! Moved back!
    Glad we can get that sorted!

Alright, it's been a little while but I finally got around to cutting all the tires and doing a little testing. One of the tires had some little rips in the carcass that I glued up, and another I accidentally cut a little bit into the carcass (oops!), so I don't know how much these tires have left to give. We'll see. I fully intend to run them until they're ruined.

My testing included climbing steep spots that it struggled with in the past, climbing after wetting the tires, and holding the truck on steep grades. It seemed to handle them all without much fuss. I don't think the additional grooves are the key here; rather the fact that grooving the big center lugs allows the carcass to be more flexible.

Here's some photos from today's run!

Here you can see the additional flexibility in the tires.

So, would I recommend doing this? Yeah, I think so, especially after the tires are broken in a bit. It's a pain in the butt to cut every lug individually, that's for sure. I think it helped though. There's only so much you can do to improve a tire before the compound becomes the limiting factor, and these tires are not a particularly sticky compound, but adding some extra flexibility is always helpful. Just make sure you don't let the Dremel slip and put a nice little groove in the carcass like I did!

Cracking photos again!

My Stompers could really benefit from this treatment, they're old as the hills and just as hard..
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by delux View Post
    Cracking photos again!

My Stompers could really benefit from this treatment, they're old as the hills and just as hard..
    Thanks Mr. 'Lux! The grooves would probably help add some flexibility back into the rubber if it's gotten stiff over time. Although you might want to check for rips - I found a few little ones, and my tires are about 4 years old.

School starts tomorrow, which will bite into my RC time, so I took some photos from today's quick little run.

I decided to throw the old roll bar back on, because why not? I also swapped the RC4WD 45T motor for an old HPI 55T that I had lying around - it has more torque, the same wheel speed, and it's quieter. Why wasn't I using this before? Lastly, I decided to scrape off the last of the black trim on the sides. I added a little bit of rust but my Sophisticated Finishes paint has turned to goo because it's four years old.

The grooved tires are working pretty good!

I don't really have any upcoming plans for the truck. Maybe if I can make some time I'll take it out to some hiking trails for a different challenge. The truck is feeling really dialed right now, I'm super happy with it (not that I was ever unhappy with it ).

Thanks for looking!

Hey folks! I've been busy with school and haven't had much time for tiny trucking, but I managed to squeeze in some time today to get some photos as the leaves are starting to change. It'll be trail raking season pretty soon!

I like having the roll bar back on. It gives the truck a nice sturdy carrying handle.

Nice light in this pictures and great truck too !
    RC4WD Team Driver - JsScale Team Driver

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011