sbg  

RPP Axial 2018
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GCM's TwinBammer Build

Default GCM's TwinBammer Build

HeyHo, everyone. I think it's time for a build thread on this thingy.

So.... The whole aim of this build is to take the somewhat capable somewhat scale rig and bring it up a notch in all areas.

First things first... I wanted to get the balance in a better spot on the rig. That means moving the battery to the front, and in that process, adding the GCM front tower plate setup.

You can barely believe the tons of room this seems to have freed up. Not only did we can the cantilever suspension up front, but the rear battery tray can be ditched... Finally... and with our change of power plant, there's a full hole in the driver's side now for a dude and a seat etc.

It's a 17.5t Sensored brushless run from a fan-less Mamba Max Pro, all on the motor side, and turning a 20t pinion gear (which is the smallest you can fit). The ESC switch fits perfectly on the front plate behind the right tower, and you can flick it nice and easy now... not like the buried stock switch....

Does anyone know why they would send the trans completely dry as toast? Really? For an RTR that's pretty bad. I know some of the ones I've heard sound like grinding coffee after a few hours, so I went for a packed white grease fix on this one... right from the start. Hopefully I don't have to get in here ever again.

I want to actually crawl this also, so I grabbed some wrenches and aimed for the front diff.... and shoved this in there:

Works Great. Really great. Just like a locker.

Of course something had to be done about the rubber for top performance...

I borrowed these from my JK BumbleBee for a while to try it out. These are 1.9 Pitbulls on 2.2 axial rings with some custom lock rings. Refoamed too.

The pic below is the running truck. Hard to believe that all the wiring got stuck on the one side there, that's all there is! I used some velcro to hold the battery there, but you'll see in a minute, it won't come out anyway... even with no velcro...

Once the cage is on, there's no way for (this particular) battery to get out. It can't slide back, fwd, or anything. I suppose the little bit of velcro I put on there is just an extra holding feature, but really not needed.

The front plate sits the flat portion right over all the diff and suspension mounts and everything, while holding it all together up front at the same time. This is great for mounting stuff, as flat places make easy placements. I think if I tried enough, I could get 2 of these batteries in the same place up front. Ryan is using a 3800 Reedy Shorty 2s on his Hammer, and Dana is using a stock battery, and all of them fit just fine up here.

I was trying to get the tire inside... now that the battery tray was gonzo.. and thanks to Vaterra for providing the perfect tire strap... hahah!

The strap hooks around the 90degree twisted battery tray brace, and under the tire, then up the front of the tire, and around the rear roof bar, over the front of the tire, and loops and hooks on itself. It's solid, clean, and no hardware. And it fills in the battery tray hole perfectly, and cleanly.
    The rear tire mount was disassembled, and then flipped over to make it more flat and pleasing.

I really like this look. Sort of swoopy and neat.

Of course, all scale rock buggies or bouncers have upright shocks on tube work up front. None of them have Cantilever suspension under the hood... so.... Now I have upright shocks too!

You can see the switch here, such a simple spot for it. I like.

There's a couple of extra holes in the front plate, right at the edge of the hood sides up front, and makes a simple install position for rock lights or the like.. and they still sit behind the bumper for nice protection too.

At the end of the day, I think it looks the part a bit better than the stocker did. And it sure does perform way better on the crawl end of things. Low is LOW now, and high is plenty fast enough for any scale truck crawl, or trail ride. Plenty fast still.

I'll get the whole interior in this week, I hope. It's about ready to drop in... And i'm hoping to do some lighting also.

I really like the look of it with the tyre in the back, that spot was made for it. The more i see these things, the clearer i can see one in my future!

Looking awesome!

I like how this is turning out, Chris!
    Just might have to order your front tower plate.
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by Shannwah View Post
    I really like the look of it with the tyre in the back, that spot was made for it. The more i see these things, the clearer i can see one in my future!
    Same.

Pretty slick sir. Lots of innovations to be found here.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast