sbg  
Boom Racing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FotoGuy's Gelande 2 D90 build

Default FotoGuy's Gelande 2 D90 build

I've always loved the look of the D90's, and after running one of the hard bodies on my SCX10 last year I knew I had to have one of the Gelande 2 kits. I finally pulled the trigger and it arrived yesterday, so I spent the evening assembling it- paint and installing the electronics are on the schedule for today!

Once assembled it will be running an Axial AE-5 ESC, RC4WD 45t motor, and all controlled with a Tactic 3-channel Rx/Tx. I've run this motor/esc combo in my SCX build and have had good luck with them, so I see no reason to switch it up, yet.

Both my previous crawlers have had plastic axles...I'm liking these metal ones

Links assembled

Starting on the frame

Thankfully I was reminded to check the grease in the axles and gears, out of the box these had barely anything in them. Repacked them with grease and now are ready to go.

Frame taking shape

"Stop taking so many pictures and just finish the build already- and for the sake of all of us, put some pants on!"

Ready for paint!

Next to the Axial JKU

Once you go Scale, you will finally understand.

Looks good.

Colour choices????

Cheers
    H2Micr0
    RC4WD Team Driver - Check out 'Trailworx Garage' on FB

Quote Originally Posted by H2Micr0 View Post
    Colour choices????
    Thanks! I'm thinking Camel Yellow color-wise.

Great color choice.

Did you check the mesh on the axle gears? Ive had to shim pretty much every yota axle Ive ever owned to varying degrees. Some of them come from the factory with some massive back lash, and wear out really fast if left unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
    Great color choice.

Did you check the mesh on the axle gears? Ive had to shim pretty much every yota axle Ive ever owned to varying degrees. Some of them come from the factory with some massive back lash, and wear out really fast if left unchecked.
    I didn't, I will have to check that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Very good advice
    This mayde a helpful read too

http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...2FCruiser+Body

The Gelanbe is beutiful kit but take your time
    Looking forward to seeing some colour on the body

Thanks for sharing
    My other truck is a bitsamissin

Quote Originally Posted by mrmat01 View Post
    Very good advice
    This mayde a helpful read too

http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...2FCruiser+Body

The Gelanbe is beutiful kit but take your time
    Looking forward to seeing some colour on the body

Thanks for sharing
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it a read-through.

Masked off and painted the windows (trim) this evening. Jacks from Top Shelf Hobby keeping the D90 from developing flat spots on the tires while it patiently waits for it's maiden run...

Oh how quickly a 4'x2' space gets filled up when working on a project, lol. Also did a quick test fit of a potential driver for the rig (Yes I realize hes in the passenger seat hah)

Going to get the body started tomorrow, cleaned up some of the excess trim around the windows this evening and got it ready for cleaning/primer. Can't decide if I want to chop off the rear spare mount and fab up my own mount, or just chop it off all together and mount a spare to the roof instead. I've seen both configurations, just can't decide which one I like best.

I didn't get to install the electronics today though- the motor and esc wires are too short to reach where I want to mount them, so I have to run over to the LHS tomorrow to grab some extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by kstpeter View Post
    I didn't, I will have to check that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
    My bad, sorry I didn't mention the axle shims when I told you about checking the grease.

Quote Originally Posted by kstpeter View Post
    Masked off and painted the windows (trim) this evening. Jacks from Top Shelf Hobby keeping the D90 from developing flat spots on the tires while it patiently waits for it's maiden run...

Oh how quickly a 4'x2' space gets filled up when working on a project, lol. Also did a quick test fit of a potential driver for the rig (Yes I realize hes in the passenger seat hah)

Going to get the body started tomorrow, cleaned up some of the excess trim around the windows this evening and got it ready for cleaning/primer. Can't decide if I want to chop off the rear spare mount and fab up my own mount, or just chop it off all together and mount a spare to the roof instead. I've seen both configurations, just can't decide which one I like best.

I didn't get to install the electronics today though- the motor and esc wires are too short to reach where I want to mount them, so I have to run over to the LHS tomorrow to grab some extensions.

If you keep the stock tire mounting post you might want to put an extra long bolt or threaded rod all the way through the post and body. A screw only threads in about 2mm the way it is now and might not be very strong with a heavy spare on it.

I'm going to mount my electronics up front under the hood area if possible. Then everything is up front and out of the way of the interior. Mine has the 2 spd so I'm already challenged with installing the interior.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Yea I remember with my first D90 body that mount being real flimsy, I ended up cutting that one off and putting a longer bolt through like you mention. For this one, I'm leaning towards just cutting it off and not mounting a spare there- I can always add a rear tire carrier bumper if I change my mind down the road.

Last night I started de-chroming the body accessories. They look to be ready for primer and paint today-

Also painted the window trim, and gave the windshield it's first couple coats of paint-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast