sbg  
Boom Racing
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GCM's new offerings for Vaterra TH and Scale Trucks

Default GCM's new offerings for Vaterra TH and Scale Trucks

Hey Ho, everyone... As a proud SBG member, I wanted to tip you off first on the new stuff coming out of the GCM shop.
    With the new TwinHammer beatings and developments, there's been some carnage and some noticeable places for improvement, and we are addressing both ends of the truck with this stuff.

First off, we have a new solid aluminum (proper) rear truss coming out. It's the full captured W design with the top rear links fitting completely inside it, and it uses all stock hardware for mounting. Solid, black, and better. Why better? Well, it lifts up the TH rear links out back by almost 1/4 inch with essentially no clearance issues at all, and that's better because it triangulates the rear suspension links more, making less torque twist by geometry alone. We all know the TH has tons of torque twist with the flat link setup that's on there....

Next TH offering is the front top plate replacement. This little thin plastic stock plate connects the front diff to the steering mechanism, and if you ding the nose enough, it's broken. Plus there's some need for options up front on the suspension geometry itself, so we tackled both at once.
    First the new replacement plate kills off the whole cantilever shocks up front. Gone. The main reason for that is to get a true scale setup on the truck, one that, like real buggies, has upright shocks on the nose. The second reason is to free up front end space for the battery. I'll add.... the stock battery or upgrade to a mega higher MAH shorty 2s pack for super long running. It will fit under the hood, yes.
    So if the front looses the cantilever shocks, then what? Well, we designed it to use a new aluminum shock hoop up front that uses any SCX shock and coilover (with or without the reservoir) and it keeps absolute maximum travel in both directions, and fully tunable as with any SCX shock.
    But there's more. Not just a new solid machined top plate, but upright shocks, and front battery mounting also.. with the addition of a front winch mount on top of that. Yep. We added material to the plate right past the front diff to the nose and put a nice pre-drilled winch mount for those who need rescue equipment and want to keep it looking scale and sweet at the same time.

Second, we were looking for a new rim. And a new scale rim at that. With the proper 1/9 and 1/10 scale, not many of the trucks look right with a 1.9 rim, and large 4.3+inch tire, but tons of the scale trucks would look way better with a 1.7 rim and the appropriate tire to match... Hey wait, there's barely any 1.7 tires available!
    Well, there will be... not from GCM, but from our favorite tire makers, as they also know there's a need in this segment.
    So we took our most popular rim design, the 5 Slot Mag wheel, added the 1.7 geometry, a polished finish, full rear mounted Beadlock engineering, and the proper 6bolt rotor to drive it. Add to that a full zero offset mounting for super fender tuck, and clearance for Axial steering, and it's a dream come true. I can barely wait to show these off on the Yota!
    By the way, TONS of the 1.55 tires now available stretch perfectly on this rim, so there's actually a TON of tire choices already available. And the little bit of tire stretch from 1.55 up to 1.7 takes some of that large sidewall away making a truly good looking proportional wheel set. I'll show you in a bit, don't worry.

Third is our introduction to 3d prints. The prototypes on the print now are ultra high resolution user assembled dash kits for Buggy and Offroad, and a kit for OEM custom work as well. We are getting the layouts perfected for kits that will let you BUILD a dash in layers and get something that can be back lit, painted, trimmed, glued, and layed out just about any way you can imagine... from wide dashes on stock trucks, buggy builds, center panel gauges, to overheads, to utility builds and almost anything. The beauty of these is the layered parts are all location pinned so users can assemble different ways and have a 'look' before doing anything final. This gives you the chance to reposition stuff, or trim or change lighting and layouts before any solid mounting or glue is used... and it keeps the gauge pods centered in the housings at all times.
    The buggy kits will have more generic and clustered pods and options, and the OEM kits will have more stock looking parts and options.

I'll be sure to photo-log this thread ASAP. It's going to be a good summer.

Gulp. I'm glad I gave you my wallet.

Very cool developments Chris, keep 'em coming!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

Nice!! Just about to start a TH build, nothin like a little gcm bling to spice it up a notch! Looking forward to seeing these new bits

Can't wait to see the pictures and order me some TH parts. Scratch that, I'd order them before even seeing pictures. I know they'll be awesome.
    SBG Junior Vice President

Can't wait to see this stuff, Chris!
    My TH needs some custom stuff.
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

Thanks, fellas, for the comments.

Here's the proto of the rear truss.... which so far seems to have all but eliminated the torque twist in the thing. Thanks to the lifted rear link geometry and improved pinion angle, there's some actual benefit to using this thing. That and it's sexy and has a GCM logo on it. hehe.

By the way, I realize now that once the front parts are done (half done already) there's going to be tons of room out back for the scale twin spare tires standing up where the battery tray used to be. That's going to look way better than the thing sticking way out back.

Please excuse the sad resolution shop pics.. but here's the front plate and shock towers. There's so far 2 adjustments on the towers, and a bunch of ways to get the battery strap on the plate, so there's more room for stuff. If you can see that terrible bottom view pic, there's some spotted holes for the winch mount to drill through... if you need them. Of course, they will be black for production.
    I'll send up some on-the-rig pics soon-ish.

Beautiful machine work, and the battery up front will improve this thing vastly as I seen videos of it trying to climb and keep flipping over. Now only if I had one to upgrade....

That climb and flip thing almost got cured just from the rear truss! The battery movement and balance improvement will just make it even more capable.

Makes we wish I had a TH Chris! I am really looking forward to the dash kits. I could really use one of those for my build :)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast