sbg  

Vaterra

Thread: Painting Severed Heads - Tutorial by IMAGUY

Default Painting Severed Heads - Tutorial by IMAGUY

Here we go again!

James French released another amazing driver head, and when I saw him, I knew I had to have him.

Ragin' Ron!

He's either angry, or he has to poop really bad.

This will be an informational thread to help you with paint and detailing your drivers. Specifically, these tips will work really well with James' heads, but they can be adapted to work with anything really.

Step 1. Find a severed head.
    Step 2. Mask face with liquid mask, or a much cleaner, sharper choice, Silly Putty. So many uses, from masking tiny heads, to transferring comics.

Step 3. I decided to paint the helmet with Tamiya Racing White. Note, priming on these heads is not recommended, as it might fill it detail. Except for the helmet step, this will all be brush work. Remove putty to reveal a little touch up work around helmet. No biggie.

To be continued.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

The silly putty? While it covers the irregular area pretty well, does it seal well enough at it's edge to prevent the paint from drawing up under it?

Oh I'm sure he looks that way as he fumbled and dropped back a few place! Just a guess, as I really wouldn't know about that!

I think another of Ron's articles didn't make it in Cwalring digest. Looking forward to this Tut. Never really mastered painting of heads

Quote Originally Posted by sgl View Post
    The silly putty? While it covers the irregular area pretty well, does it seal well enough at it's edge to prevent the paint from drawing up under it?
    Yes it does. Silly Putty has been used by static modellers for years, because of that very property.

Cool! I've never been good at this... and I love a good severed head and what a swell head he has... so I'll be taking notes. very nice detail in that grimace. On the poop vs. anger topic it could go either way depending on how you paint the eyes I think.
    www.wolfcreekrcpark.com

I would really love to see the rest of this!!
    I'm BAD at painting figures - in ANY scale. I hope someone can post more on this topic...

Carmine A., Tucson, AZ.
    One CC-01, one Holiday Buggy, and a HG P402, that I'm trying to turn into a REAL Rig!!

Weird. I thought I wrapped this one up. Sorry!

Check the other one, I do a full paint process in the original.

I'll look for it, thanks!