sbg  

RPP VS4 2018
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf F1

Oh wow. That looks great. Where are you going with this? Are you going to drive it somewhere? With whom? Is there some up and coming class that I don't know about? Or is it wishful building?

"wishful building" I guess. But, I get a rush just thinking about watching it speed around a roller-hockey rink with or without other cars. If Reza sees it go, he'll get one too though and then I can watch all my custom bits get deconstructed.:D

NICE!
    The shock really helps make that front end look realistic, the ducts are over the top.
    Guess I better get mine down off the shelf.
    I picture spending some time with the cameras and some nice open parking lot runs this spring.

mikevillena Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    ..... Good advice, Mike. I think some of that black wash you guys talk of would have been appropriate as well. Looking back, I also wish I'd done them in gunmetal but I'm not really the modeller type. My 'building' comes out of necessity as my pleasure lies in racing models. It would be my preference if the bits and pieces came with the kit ready for a quick paintjob. If it looks good (and kinda real) speeding across the finish-line in first place, I'm happy!

*EDIT*- The first half of this reply sounds kinda sarcastic when I read it back. I assure you, Mike, I love learning new things and I definitely appreciate your advice. If people were good about maintaining their gentle SBG etiquette (as I think they would be), I'd actually be happy with more constructive criticism in my threads. Sometimes, in my photos, I don't hide obvious flaws with my build and wonder if anyone will point it out. They don't. Everyone is always too nice to say anything. (Or Kevin is quick to shelter me from their nastiness)
    Oh, no problem at all buddy! I have a boat load of rough and obvious flaws in all of my builds. I just chime in to try and help folks with what little I know about styrene.

I've built a couple of F-1 cars for concourse work and although the Tamiya chassis is extremely restricted space wise you can still add details that will make it stand out. My last F-1 build was a McLaren (sorry but I haven't digitized the few build pictures):

The cockpit is waist deep as well as the converted action figure. His visor is open and the helmet is fully plumbed. There is an access panel on the nose that is open and you can see the rocker arms, linkage and shocks. I think I also added the upper "A" arms at the correct height and angle. All of the duct work is open and I built the radiators on the side. The barge board is mounted on struts and the fuel door is hinged open with scratchbuilt fuel port. I forget what other details I added but this was to give you some additional ideas about your build.

Waving in victory! Awesome! I also see a camera on there, seriously detailed tires, wicked paintjob... .. .. .

I notice this picture was taken at an actual track and I gotta ask; Do you run/race your stuff, Mike?

mikevillena Guest

Thanks Alan :sun_smiley: I always run my builds and I have raced two or three in actual heats. My HPI Toyota Altezza (I think it was back in 2001?), my first TCS Mini Cooper and my TCS Miyata have turned their wheels in anger. I have just one snapshot of the Miyata taken by my friend David during the event:

All of my surviving builds have varying degrees of damage and I never build "trailer queens" 2thumbs
    Excuse me for hijacking the thread. Back to the Walter Wolf saga....

I shouldn't keep reading this thread. Although I know I would likely never run it, I have been wanting a particular F1 kit for some time now and the kit is now starting to get scarce. I'm trying to resist spending the $$$$. I fear I may be failing...

As soon as I saw Mike's F1, I knew I'd be copying the open visor (sorry; no hand-waving).

Lookin' good Al

Solid painting job there Al.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast