sbg  

Vaterra
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unimog 406 - STIII Entry

JessF Guest

Default Unimog 406 - STIII Entry

Hello,

looking forward to building over the winter, thought I'd try my hand at a Unimog, specifically the 406.
    I'm going to start with my reference pics and build the information as the day progresses.

thanks!

Exterior Images, note the number of lugs, style of wheel, tread pattern and variety of bolt on accessories.

Chassis shots. Hard to find multiple shots of just one chassis, found as many that fit the 400 class of Unimog as I could. They're all very similar, wheel base and track width vary with each model.

JessF Guest

Interiors are pretty sparse.

The output shaft on 406 was designed to support a number of accessories, including a winch. I considered getting a 3racing winch, slapping it on the front, but thought it more fun and accurate to actually make a functioning output shaft that the winch connects to.

I plan on modding a 168oz servo, connecting a shaft that accessories can bolt direction on to. The winch would only need to be a spool and series of gears, the design for this is in my head, just hasn't made it to the drawing board yet.

First few items came the in mail. 3Racing portals and 1.9 ABS Landy wheels. From the photos I've seen the Unimog wheels don't have little sections cut away like on these landy wheels, so I've begun modding them by filling in those gaps with "MIGHT PUTTY", the mightiest of the putties. I got 5 Landy wheels so I plan on scavenging the lugs from the 5th wheel and turning the rest of the 5 lug wheels into 6 lug wheels.

tires will be RC4WD Trail Busters. Their size, width and tread pattern resemble the majority of Mogs I came across, better than any other off-the-shelf 1.9 tire I've seen.
    http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...7929578c67f92f

Transmission. R2 2 speed with Dig. I wasn't planning on getting this one, but I found a brand new one for $75 shipped so I had to snatch it up. The ad said "R2 tranny with dig" and to my surprise it was a 2 speed with dig. SCORE!!

Finally my CAD drawings, where all the kinks get worked out before fabrication.
    I had to provide space for the R2 tranny to stretch out so the chassis components aren't symmetrical, each part will have to be cut drilled and tapped separately. Chassis width was an issue to I've stepped the chassis plates in so I have a clear dimension of 83mm from centre of shock to centre of shock. a complete set of MRC axles are in the mail, should get here sometime in 2 weeks. Their width plus the portals should keep my tires under the fenders like the 1:1 Unimog.

I've spent countless hours working on these drawings, everything is to scale and based on the Tamiya body. The scale of this rig is around 1:8.65

more to come

Thanks for looking!

lance banner Guest

looks like its gonna bo a cool build.

dubfreak Guest

thats what we call making things right will be watching this one for sure keep up the good work and pics of the progress

very cool, nice work on cad. looks well thought out. can't wait to see more.

just wondering how you are going to adapt the 3racing ax10 portals to the mrc axles?
    Scale Crawling: all the realism without the pain!

Great project, have you seen this? http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...hlight=achtung Shows how to adapt the portals to the mrc axles.

JessF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ax-hole View Post
    Great project, have you seen this? http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...hlight=achtung Shows how to adapt the portals to the mrc axles.
    yup yup yup. kind of feels like cheating using that great idea but I hope to bring some new ideas to the table with this build.

you may notice in my CAD drawings I don't have a transfer case, yet the motor is mounted underneath the passenger side. I plan on mounting an output shaft to where the motor mounts to the R2 tranny then connecting the motor via shaft.

my original design made use of the RC4WD planetary transmission and separate transfer case but that added cost and took up valuable space. Since the R2 series of transmissions transfers power to both front and rear axles is seemed only natural to let it function as both the tranny and transfercase.

sweet thanks for the link, now I might have a use for my mrc axles. watching this one good luck
    Scale Crawling: all the realism without the pain!

Soup Man Guest

I think I still have a 404.s and a 416.rs manual around if you are needing measurements or anything like that...

JessF Guest

update.

received my MRC axles sans upgraded CVD, those are on back order, as is the Mog body.

I have 4 Axial drive shafts so I planned on using those knowing full well that the bore diameter for the shaft is 5mm. The output shaft for the MRC axle is 4m. Connet the two and you get a nice wobble. A small section of 3/16" OD will act as a sleave, it's OD is 4.7mm and ID is 3.9mm so there's a bit of slop but hardly noticable. I'll be putting a set screw in each hole of the steel yolks to help balance things out.

looks like this.

because the aluminium is soft I was able to cut a small test piece, tighten everything down and locate where to drill the hole.

The aluminium is strong, but a bit soft for my liking and I'm unsure how long it will last under hard driving conditions, so I'll see if 3/16" brass tubing has the same ID.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast