sbg  

Vaterra
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GCM DRX-VE Rally-Ford S2000 Build Thread

Default GCM DRX-VE Rally-Ford S2000 Build Thread

Hey, all,

I'm putting up a nice bunch of cool stuff in this thread, trying to add some details etc to my DRX rally car, I'll start all the changes in this thread

Hey, Dudes,
    I took this stock Rally car out for a tiny video at some clean asphalt today. Not much, but had a nice time, and even though I was paranoid about scratching it up, I did manage to pin the throttle a few times to see what's going on under the hood.
    Pleasantly, the car in all stock form on a 2s battery runs exactly how I would want to set it up, and it's got great traction. The weight is so far down low that it would not roll on the road, no matter what I tried with it.
    The center diff and the end diffs have what seems to be the perfect weights of oils from the box. I want to change nothing.
    Well, I do in fact want to put it on very slightly lighter springs, but that may go away after it breaks in a bit. I like a really loose roll on my stock onroad/rally cars, and I intend to scale this one to the limit, so real looking roll would be on my list. That said, I think after I stick on all my lights, and the interior stuff, the roll on the stock springs will likely be perfect, so I'll change nothing right now.

ANywho, see for your self. Not much, but sure had fun playin'

Please stop teasing me with awesome.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Dirt video next!!!

MrRangeRover1996 Guest

That thing is super cool. who would have thought you could have fun on pavement too! (I kid of course)

Thanks for the vid Chris. I too wanna see it in the dirt now.

You say "interior stuff", are you planning to put a driver in there? Looks like theres lots of room for such things.

Hey all,
    I was waiting for today's delivery to make another post!

So,
    This is the TRT123 high grip tire, with a TRW164H hard foam, all sitting on a TRH121BK Rally 15-Spoke Rim. I just had too much racing-on-dirt experience to leave the stock tires on it for dirt videos.. knowing that these would be way better on looser and slicker surfaces.

Notes:
    -The stock tires are sick as heck, sticky, and a perfect match for any sort of asphalt surface. Perfect.
    -These high grip tires from Kyosho... well... they are so sticky that if you squeeze 2 together at the sidewall, you can get them to stick together, and hang one from the other, like glue... and then it falls off eventually, but these are very sticky! YEAH!! I'm excited!

Got no vids yet, thanks to deciding to get all the lighting and interior etc built up before I get any more run time on it. I want it to still have a MINT body for the dirt videos! Can't wait!

love it when tires do that!

I've got scalebuildersguild fever! And I'm taking it out on the DRX!!

So from the inside out, here's where things are at right now..

I grabbed the headlight and taillight buckets and popped them out... they are held into the body (main) using some 2 sided foam tape. It's easy to remove.
    First order of business was to knife out the bucket areas and get the stock axial light buckets glued in from the back. I also added a 3mm socket to the signal light lens area, and just mounted it over top of the sticker that was there. Dropped in the orange 3mm signal, and the 2 5mm whites, and it's ready for install. So easy!
    Stock on left, and ready for power on the right.

Here's the mess on the back. It looks terrible, and i admit that I did overkill on the hotglue here, but I don't want to have buckets or LEDs falling out if I clip the front end when driving. To me that's worse than having a ton of glue where you can't see it anyway.

I dropped in the form fitted light bucket back into the body (main) and then rimmed the whole assembly using hotglue.. hopefully that will keep the road dust out of the headlight assembly and keep the moisture out as much as possible. Picture of that, and the outside after glued.

Now, out back It's the same sort of thing. Didn't bother taking pictures of the steps, but I'll highlight a few things. Here's the lens glued back in after the rework.

So there's 2 LEDs in each rear tail assembly.
    The one on the right of the pic is a blinker, it's an orange 3mm LED and will be set to the flashers on the thing.
    The one you see sticking out the left of the pic is actually the red taillight. It shines from the FWD side of the socket straight out the rear directly straight, so when you look from the rear following car, you get the red spot in your eye. From the side, you see the perfect glow of the lens as a whole, because the actual assembly is shaped in a rectangle, and the red is coming from one end only. VEry VEry cool, I say. Very cool.

Here's a pic of the assembly in the car, OFF, and then a pic of the assembly with the tail light ON. very cool.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast