sbg  

GearHead
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another tj

Gettin into metal work now whoot whoot

Wanted to learn to braze today so I started my own version of this

Seven hours later here is where I stopped fingers so sore got a lot more respect for you metal gods

Spillproof Guest

Wow great start. I bought some brake line and some silver solder to do bumpers, but haven't gotten to it. I think the wife will shoot me if I start soldering in the living room on her coffee table...

lookin really good bud! nice design on bumper. a few tricks i have learned about working with metal i can share. clean the surface before you start. i always use emery cloth to clean area i am going to solder or braze before i begin. it allows the solder to stick better. and it will flow across a clean surface evenly. on a dirty surface the solder will want to ball up and bead. just a small tip it looks like you are not getting the metal hot enough before you add solder or braze. when you add the solder it will take heat away from the area causing the working area to cool and give you a mess joint. make sure metal is good and red and then hold solder close to kinda prehet it as well. I am by no means an expert just trying to help. looks like you are off to a great start! just takes practice.

Thanks alot for the help Ill be sure to go get some emery cloth it was balling up on me couldn't figure it out why

More practice today going with a slightly different look than this

Jeepfixer1 Guest

Hey buddy, your soldering on the rear bumper looks better than on the front! Way to go! Hope that tubing bender will help ya. Looks like you have done well without it. If you do get that one you can also make your own smaller diameter dies for even tighter bends. Let me know if you get one and what ya think! Hope it makes your bending even easier! :)

Ya will do bud I had to redo the rear bumper to make the tire carrier functional

Gonna make boat side rockers like these well try lol

Looking good, you're really moving along on the brazing now!

Got in some bench time today almost finished the rear bumper been taking my time on this build fund permiting i know its not the best work but the best of what I've made so far got a pile of mess ups lol

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast