sbg  

RPP Winter Small
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Steelhead" FJ40

Default "The Steelhead" FJ40

Please note, that I have removed all my pics from Photobucket; and in time, I will re-upload all the pics in this thread.
    Thank you for your patience.

I wanted to name it for the thread title, but I'll wait till the build is done before it gets named.

(Edit: After talking about trouts and old fish'n holes, it influenced my head and I had some dreams of past days. When I woke up today, I thought of a name for the build..."The Steelhead". Mix trouts, replacing most of the kit' parts with steel, and future Metalhead axles.....Steelhead).

At first, I was going to do a total scratch build; and although I'm in no hurry to finish building it, I still want to get it done ready to crawl for the spring.

First on the list was a Dinky "Split-Skid". I'm still waiting for the maker to finish off the batch that mine is in. Next was some bad-_ss wheels. Thanx GCM Racing! These wheels are wickedly cool.devil

Then I picked up a Dingo builders kit. First mod was to de-paint the chassis rails, and scratch them up good ready for future brazing. To my supprise, the kit came with 4-link axle mounts, so I 8-32'd, 1/4" steel'd, Jato-rod'd some suspension & steering links. Front bumper was next. It still has to get the rest of the tube-work done.

Next wil be the rear bumper, shock towers, and side gaurds. I'll update when those are done:

Last edited by Headquake; 01-13-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Thought of a name fer it.

Off to a great start!! Keep the progress going.

Thanx.

I forgot to mention, that this build will be a culmination, of all the cool builds that I've seen on the Scale Builders Guild. People with great builds will likely recognize their influence.

Looking sweet Dude

This thing is going to be one wicked ride. Can't wait to see it come along.

Thanx again fellas (Butter's voice).

I really want a sweet ride, like when I saw the Mangler, the YJ with half door build, the Icon one going on, the olive WJ4 with all the rust, as well as a few others I've drooled over here and there. Also the precision of the Mongo, that's on another forum. I'm trying to be precise like it (although I have not the propper steel-working tools).

I like my wee indoor crawl'n adventures, but it's time to take it outside with a bigger one. My plan is to go hiking as I normally do, only with it, a vid/camera, and some refreshments...
    I know of a lot of good areas that I used to trout fish. It's been a while, so I can't wait to explore those areas again. Wid ma truck.

Nuff yap. I sculpted the rear bumper tonight (should have been working on client composite stuff).shhh

Check it:

And dangling on the rails:

I just have to make mounting tabs on it, so it can come off when I need to slide parts between the rails. I nearly brazed it on, then I thought...wait a minute...

Really like that chassis!! Looks like a great build started here

Heinz57 Guest

Thumbs up

Glad I could help fund the build. Canada post has some goodies siting there for me, thanks again and good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57 View Post
    Glad I could help fund the build. Canada post has some goodies siting there for me, thanks again and good luck with the build.
    Thanx. It all adds up quickly. The plan was to build up from all lah-dee-dah bits; but in reality, the lah-dee-dah bits will replace parts that break, when they break.

Hope my axle housings break....Metalheads!...

Looking good.
    What body style are ya planning?

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast