RPP VS4 2018
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag racing setup questions?

MrRangeRover1996 Guest

Default Drag racing setup questions?

Just a couple of question relating to Drag racing cars;

1) What pinion/spir do you run?
    2) What motor are you running?
    3) What ESC do you have controlling it all?

thank you.

Andy.

1) Whatever feels good.
    2) Novak sensored 6.5.
    3) Mamba Max Pro.

I'd love to chime in here but the last time I raceed RC drag I was using a 9T brushed motor with a microswitch and corn syrup for traction compound. :noway:

Sean

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangeRover1996 View Post
    Just a couple of question relating to Drag racing cars;

1) What pinion/spir do you run?
    2) What motor are you running?
    3) What ESC do you have controlling it all?

thank you.

Andy.
    1) ??? None. evil
    2) Castle 2650kv
    3) Castle Mamba Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
    I'd love to chime in here but the last time I raceed RC drag I was using a 9T brushed motor with a microswitch and corn syrup for traction compound. :noway:

Sean
    That sounds pretty nuts! A few of us built some scale looking Dragsters out of touring cars and were racing on a chalk drawn out scale 1/4 or 1/8 mile this past summer. Al posted what we were running to keep it in the same ball park as each other.

I think if we kept the same rear tires and a touring car wheel base, everything else is up to you. I think the gearing is similar to what an average touring car manufacture recommends for that chassis/motor combo. We were running up and around 68km within a scale 1/4mile. Rear wheel drive, 2s lipo, brushless.

It looks like we might have a better turn out next drag meet. There's a few coming out of the woodwork.

MrRangeRover1996 Guest

i guess i should tell everyone what i am started with.

1) What pinion/spir do you run? 19/67
    2) What motor are you running? Castle 5700kv
    3) What ESC do you have controlling it all? Sidewinder SCT

I have not been able to do any testing yet. but as soon as I put the electronics in, I ran it in the parking lot at Go Go...lets just say...traction was a problem! keep in mind the parking lot at Go Go is not the smoothest place.

Quote Originally Posted by matt c View Post
    That sounds pretty nuts! A few of us built some scale looking Dragsters out of touring cars and were racing on a chalk drawn out scale 1/4 or 1/8 mile this past summer. Al posted what we were running to keep it in the same ball park as each other.

I think if we kept the same rear tires and a touring car wheel base, everything else is up to you. I think the gearing is similar to what an average touring car manufacture recommends for that chassis/motor combo. We were running up and around 68km within a scale 1/4mile. Rear wheel drive, 2s lipo, brushless.

It looks like we might have a better turn out next drag meet. There's a few coming out of the woodwork.
    Well, BITD, we had a RC drag club and we had a full drag tree and timing equipment. It was very much a "gentleman's" activity as the average age of the racer's was around 45. These guys would spend enormous amounts of money on their cars, like several thousand for a graphite chassis top fuel rail with Astro-Flight power and crazy pumped cells! (ever see a Sanyo 1/2C NiCd cell deliver 1.5 volts under 100 amp load?) :bugeyes:

Cue up two young punks shooting the poo at the LHS one day who decide they wanna have some fun with these old guys. One used Parma rear pod, Associated pan car front end, a well worn Kyosho Mega motor, a donated top-fuel rail body and $15 worth of balsa and CA glue later we had a true "budget" racer. We wired up 10 Sanyo AA NiCds and made tires from a foam pad on my buddy's home gym. Truing them up with a drill and some rasp files was messy but it worked. Where the fast guys were using tire traction compound costing $30 a bottle we used corn syrop and instead of a microswitch we used a regular hardware store light switch to send the power from the battery directly to the motor.

Back then the fast guys were on the verge of breaking the 2 second barrier on a good pass. (running on parking lot asphalt) I don't remember the exact number but we ran within a few hundredths of that on our first pass with the car! Guys were a bit worried I tell ya. On our next pass we clipped the timing equipment and demolished the front of the car. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that was the end of our day but you should have seen their faces as we rebuilt the front of the car with new balsa in about 5 minutes! The kicker was most guys hid out in their vans to keep prying eyes away from their cars while we were right out in the open on a folding table where everybody saw what we were doing. When we ran dirt and carpet everybody shared setups and such but the old guys at the drags tried to hide everything from each other. Everybody came to see our balsa rail and what we had done. They picked it up and noticed how stinking light it was compared to their cars. We just didn't give a poo.

We ended up running another fast pass that day and finished strong. We ran the rest of the events with that car and were always top three but we started late so we couldn't win the championship.

We attended the annual general meeting before the next season and that's where we got shut down. There weren't a whole lot of rules the year before but now the old guys added a minimum weight limit to the cars and effectively outlawed our balsa rail car in the top-fuel class. In fact they put minimum weight limits on all the classes except for bracket because they wanted to encourage new racers to come out with whatever they had, including Radio Shack RCs. They knew very well that our car wasn't consistent enough to win bracket so they didn't care. evil

But we did care and ran bracket with the car anyways, not to win the class but to try and set fast time and have bragging rights. We got pretty good at dialing-in the car and out of the 8 race events we set fast time at six of them and were the first to break below the 2 second barrier! :luxhello:
    It was one thing to win top-fuel, but the trophy for fastest pass of the year was a bigger trophy and we went home with it.

The next year they voted in minimum weights and specs for batteries in all the classes and that was the end of the $30 balsa rail.

But the story doesn't end there...

That following year we had started racing outdoor on-road so we didn't race drag but we did build one final "rail" car and brought it out one time. We removed the battery and all electronics out of the balsa rail and fitted a D-type rocket motor to the back of it and a pair of eyelets on the underside of the chassis. It was just an exhibition run so it didn't count for any prize or trophy so the rules didn't apply. We nailed down a braided fishing line on the track with a pile of blankets at the end to stop it. The line ran through the eyelets under the car and basically kept it on the ground. I knew in the back on my head that we had a problem with burn-time as I had calculated a sub 1 second pass for the car and the rocket motor we were using had a burn time of 2.4 seconds. I just figured it would burn itself out after being stopped by the pile of blankets. Well we launched it on the green and watched it do 132 feet in under a second before burying itself into the blankets in the trap area. Then the blankets caught fire and by the time the fire was put out the car was a goner. It had compacted on impact and the rocket booster just made sure it was never coming back. :noway:

To this day we have the fastest pass ever recorded with that timing equipment. rofl

Ok sorry for the long post. Been more than twenty years since these events transpired and I guess I just got carried away. LOL.

Sean

Hey, thanks Radioflyer, i don't mind the long post. Thanks for sharing.
    That was a cool story for sure. Sounds like an awesome time.

Quote Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
    Hey, thanks Radioflyer, i don't mind the long post. Thanks for sharing.
    That was a cool story for sure. Sounds like an awesome time.

Thanks Rick, I guess I'm at the age where I start getting anecdotal and have to write down stuff before I forget it ever happened.

Sean

Sean,

That was a great read. Probably the best and most entertaining post I've ever read on a forum. You even had me laughing out loud. Love it!

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast