sbg  

RPP 2 Fall 2017
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GCM Wrangler-'In Between'

Default GCM Wrangler-'In Between'

Well, it's official, I have a jeep problem.
    Back a couple of years ago I built a red JK and after a long time of running it as a 'stock' grocery getter truck I realized how much I loved it for the basic runner it was. Well, I had to make another one with some of the modern chassis parts, and get another 'stocker' to run around.
    It's sort of stuck 'In Between' the stocker from the dealership and the 4x4 offroader it longs to be, and hence the name.

Chucked a bunch of stuff in the back to fill in the void. It's a cool thing, sort of a stealth truck really.. not much to catch the eye. Added some glass to it also for filler.

This one is built on a CrossCanyon scaler conversion full kit, and stocker axial axles and trans, a RR machined 90t spur, 18t pinion, 35t motor, and boring esc from a HPI blitz. Going for the easy trail machine with this one. There's a Towerpro servo in there, some BFG repro tires on 1.9 black axial rims also. With the small tire you'd think you'd get into jams on the rocks, but the chopped bumper gets you through surprisingly well. The fenders do get in the way in some cases, but the stocker side steps actually help a ton to get around corners and through ruts. It's a cool thing to see.. almost like sliders, that actually slide! haha

This one gets the Panhard kit and some proline scaler 90mm shocks up front (shown with MRC shocks) and a new truss from GCM in there also. I chopped off the top of the truss and used it like a 3 link, thanks to the side hole for the upper link, and add to that the bent link the front travel is massive actually. Very cool.

This is how it looks from the t-case looking fwd with some of my mockup parts and no axles yet. Nice and simple really, and the steering and suspension is dead straight and super tough like this. I'm loving the 3 link panhard stuff now. Very nice and easy to setup.

The rear body mounts are actually a bumper mount turned upside 90 degrees and bolted to the chassis rail. Perfect size and fit for a velcro tab mount to go on the trunk floor. Front is a velcro hoop on the front shock tower.

Hillbillycrawler Guest

That is going to be another great Jeep.
    But I think you might want to get up with Mark and see if you guys can get a discount rate at the doctor for your problems with your Jeeps and his no finishing builds the first time around.

HAHA I still have another JK project not yet finished also. It's silly now, but I love them! Some people have pets, and well,.....

The 'In Between' lives on forever now! haha! And with some of the most lame equipment I had in my spares boxes.... hahaha

This is the finished unit with a bit of touchup on the outsides, some stickers, some ride height tune. Nothing major.

Keep in mind this is a bone stock JK body with only the front bumper cleared off... that long thing is always in the way, and I wanted some nose clearance. Might make a stinger for this one, but that wouldn't look too stock now would it! hahah!
    The battery is just stuffed behind the dash, they always seem to stay there with little to no effort all by themselves, so here I go again!

This thing uses every bit of extra stuff I could find. I found some old axial steel yokes in my box all with stripped setscrews, so I reamed out the setscrews and replaced them with short ground off M3 screws, and they work perfect, and are easily serviced. Nice. Plastic center axles won't be broken with the rest of this equipment either. It's a saturn HPI 27t motor hooked to a HPI brama speed control, I think it's 30 amps at best, my alarm clock uses more battery than this thing. The servo is a recycled towerpro 995 that's not doing badly actually, and the rx is my standard 2.4 units (have a bunch of them for the 15 model radio). Got a dogbone from HPI and a drive cup set from traxxas for the center trans shaft. All said and done I only really bought paint for this truck, the rest came as trades or old stock or take offs. Funny how that works out after you collect stuff for long enough.

Here's a pic of this thing with no lid. SO DANG LOW! It crawls OK with the high gearing, but rips like a rally car actually. It's fast and low feeling. So cool to run on the trails.. there's no drag brake, etc on this cheapo esc, so I have to be careful to pay attention more! hahah! But it has well enough jam to rip around, and crawls real nice. Not sure I ever let out my newest foam tire cutting tricks for 2011, but these tires grip like any other comp tire I've ever had. Nice and firm, but super amazing curl and bite. I'm in love! Trails, here I come!

Nice, i forgot about this one. She would have fun in my trails.
    See you soon.

With the ample flares on this truck, it's so nice to see someone finally tuck their wheels in. Thank you, Chris!

Looks sharp

what are you doing for drive shafts on this truck?

Thanks man, its all stock plastic stuff. I worked it good and its great. The smaller tire seems to not need a metal shaft.
    I did change the rear shocks to traxxas half droop and half sprung, and its a bit stronger. I find the hotracing mini shocks are weak in the cap threads, and never have problems with the traxxas.

Had the twins out today for some trailing. Nothing serious, but running machines at the shop, and had some time between parts. Yes, I have a jeep problem. Totally loving these 2 though!! haha! It's sort of a 'his' and 'hers' set now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast