sbg  

RPP Winter ARRMA 2017
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nigelpheron's Micro Landscapes

Default Boreal-ish

I've started on the bottom scene.

I used 1" foam for the perimeter shape, then chicken-wired it, epoxy-glassed it, and I just added some built up areas to hold the ponds / water-falls.

Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-22-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Re-sized photos

I just did the start of the surface groundwork. Made a batch of thickened epoxy, painted the whole surface to fill in all of what I want to hide, then poured dry sand ove the whole sticky mess. The sand in the epoxy gives wicked traction, so for realism and a bit of a challenge, I will have to slippery-up some areas of the scene.

Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-22-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Re-sizing photos

Default Groundwork done

Vacked the loose sand off just now. It will be in this state for a while, as I plan to detail it over the winter.

Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-22-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Re-sized photos

Once again, these look great man. Really nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanx Headquake.

I might actually continue on it sooner than winter, if one of my clients pays me with Paypal. One topped up, I'll make a bulk order from Woodland Scenics, and start mucking about.

Planning on how to do some big conifers right now...

Have a little bit of supplies, so I just used them up. The pic doesn't do the dirt colour good. It looks like well-worn dirt trails.

Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-14-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added first grasses

They paid in cash

Went and got some supplies that night. I got so many bags of grass, ya'd think I was hosting a Rasta convension, buh-dump-bump---tiss.

I was up late with a bit of insomnia. So, I cast some rocks.

Yes you did make rocks... these landscapes are super cool

Tried my hand at painting the rock just now. I'm using a Woodland scenics colour kit, and it works awesomely.

Got the first tree done.

To make the trees, you'll need:
    -Scizzors
    -Art wire
    -Twine
    -5-epoxy glue
    -Black / brown spray paint
    -Spray glue
    -Train greenery stuff
    -Clear satin spray paint

SUPPLIES.JPG

1. Cut some art wire; double + a few inches longer, than the height of your tree. Bend it in half to 90-deg, then bend one of halves again, and then bend the ends so the wire doesn't touch the surface:

WIRE BENT 1.JPG

2. Cut the twine into lengths, the width of the tree. Unravel the twine, and put it beside the wire, ready for the gluing step.

WIRE BENT 2.JPG

3. Acting quickly, mix and apply some 5-min epoxy glue, and apply it to the top side of the wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKLDX0jsLVA

4. Acting quickly, place the readied twine onto the wire with epoxy glue on it. Let the epoxy dry, holding the twine in place. Put some weights to hold the fibers down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN_yVeUMj4s

5. Unfold the other wire side, to make that side straight again, and then fold the wire at the original halfway point.

6. Clamp the two wire legs in a vice, and put an Allen-key through the loop end. Wind the allen-key, twisting the wire, and fanning out the twine into spirally tree branches.

7. Cut the twine with scizzors, so that the tree branches give a cone shape to the tree, and spray it black, or brown primer like the tutorial model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5juv...ature=youtu.be

8. Get your greenery ready in a shaker. I use a spice container, with the holes enlargened to a flow that I like. Spray the tree with spray glue, then shake the darkest greenery all over the tree. Dowse it good. I do it over the floor, so the mess is already down there, and then vacuum up after. Be sure to gather as much of the medium up, as it's reusable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimXx...ature=youtu.be

9. Right the tree, and spray it with glue again. Now shake the lighter greenery over the tree from the top. This way, depth will be added by having the dark shadowy colours underneath the branches, accented with the light coloured greenery, adding highlights to the tops of the branches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDH9...ature=youtu.be

10. Satin clearcoat the whole tree and put it somewhere to dry, then stick it in your diorama somewhere. Or load it up and take it home for the holidays...

IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.JPG
    Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-08-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Tree How-To.

Default Rocks

I attached all my casted rocks. They were all made with Woodland Scenics molds and plaster. The rocks get epoxied on for strength (earth-quake-proof). The blend starts with jamming toilet paper in the top spaces, then soaked with a thinned palster solution. This give the basic shape for the blend. This will then get an epoxy mixture, to add anti-crack strength to the plaste blends, and provide a consistent sticky base to continue the green work. With the epoxy wet, sand gets sprinkled on again.

Last edited by nigelpheron; 09-20-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Mess'n with the photos

Default Trees finally done

47-trees done over a week.

The bridge.

This is the final part of blending in the rocks. Resin, big rocks, med rocks, small rocks, sand sprinkled all over them. When all dry, the extra sand gets vacuumed up.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast