sbg  

RPP 1
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 'Baby Blue' -GCM builds a 56 F100 4x4

Hard to believe it's been 1 year and 6 months since I even looked at this truck!! Just goes to show you how long I hold on to something... ( my last car was a 1992, just replaced haha! There's probably some sort of medication for this... )
    Ok, so I fell over this thing the other day while looking for another truck, and suddenly it all came to my head!
    I know now what to do in order to fix this dang thing! Add stuff!!

First off was to get the dang skinny (and I don't like 'em) TIRES off this thing, and lets put on a tire that actually looks like it wants dirt:

These used to be 1.9 rock creepers, and now they are 1.55 Rock Creepers a-la-chop and glue. Seen here. They look great to me, and now I feel like I don't have to be the last guy in line when we do trail runs. Those other little tires really look sad. I left the foams out of these Creepers now also. The rubber is sort of stiff, but with no help at all from the foams, they just might work! Not bad too!

Next thing I know, there's a package falling from the magical sky, and it had this sick as heck old tube bumper in it. Nice.

This thing was made from a pair of shelf brackets, chopped and welded to the back of 2 strips of 1/4 inch steel tube. The top tube had the center step added first, and then bent, after all that was OK, the lower tube was welded on at the inside edge and then tapered off on the ends. Also acts as a great locator for the body and will help me locate the size of the drop bed. Nice.

Here's the official ride height. Cool shot actually, now that you can see the tire size relating to the body and fenders, and also can see the frame rails out back, where the wood bed will sit. Cool.

I think it's finally achieved the 4x4 old ford stance I always wanted. The little tires didn't do it for me, and the thing was sitting with the frame too high in the body, so now it's not bad! I love the look and can barely wait to get all the details set up, finish the bed and interior. The plan is to have ALL the electrics under the hood, so we shall see how that works out....

nice to see this resurface. good lookin build

Thanks, everyone!
    I've come to realize I hadn't finished this build back when it began... most likely because it was Over my Head! There's things I'm doing on it now that I realize I would have never thought of etc just because I've done so many other builds and seen so much happen over here on SBG, I'm feeling a bit more capable as a builder.. for this level of scale truck anyway! Nothing to custom over here!!

Update of the day!

This truck is targeted at the 'Mostly Restored, but still used regularily' sort of side of things. In that light, here's what the interior came up with .. It's semi restored. The owner seem to have ended up with a re-fabric'd seat as well as some good dash emblems and the new paint from the doors, but somehow didn't get the weather-beaten dash fixed up yet. That's the look I was actually trying for.

The dash part was sprayed with a sagging coat of 'smoke' and then hung on it's face to dry. That gave it a nice mess to put the blue on behind, and here we go.. an old dash panel. Dude put new chrome trim, and replaced the guage bezels, but other than that, it's old.

There's dash lights in each gauge also. Seen below.

And lights off now:

This interior parts and decals come from the Axial CF-100 truck interior, and so the stickers were named CF-100. Didn't take much to get rid of the C for this Ford F-100 build! haha. And added some reading for those long stoplights.

I added a rear-view mirror as per the old days as well. Simple chopped off axial shifter knob, then glued a washer to that, then put on a cut piece of Axial mirror sticker sheet. Done. Still going to add the farmer and his Matt Hicks Head, but in the mean time I got it tacked into place to get the rest of the thing wired up etc.

Started on the Box also. Dropped right to the frame, using a Rogue Elements Clod bed kit. Which, I HAVE to add.. is the absolute perfect fit for this body. All you have to do is cut the one side of the bed bottom to be the SAME distance from wheel well to front as it is on the short side already. So the bed had the wheel well NOT in center front to back on the bed. I fixed that so its centered by just cutting off the one end of the bed and sides to make the front and back even with eachother. Hope that makes sense.
    This setup will let me or anyone else using this combo, drop the body right ON the bed parts, and they line up so UBER perfect into the box sides, it's amazing. You can trim out the lexan right to the bed sides, and have a perfect match. SO good. wow. May even get the tailgate working, it's so perfect.

Here's some layout shots. The bed floor will get a stained and varnished hardwood floor over top of what you see here, then I'll add some tiny aluminum polished strips to make the board separations for the wood bed bottom. So far, it looks like this in the box department.... More to do.

I love how it matches right up with the cute tube bumper out back, this is becoming my favorite setup for some reason. Little steel hangers, welded to steel tubes, and then wire wheel finished. Cool. Looks right. Even if I manage to get the tailgate working everything will be in the perfect spot to get that done! Yeah!

More to come!

lookin awesome man!!!

Great stuff, Chris! Very lovely interior!

Beauty seat cover, happy to see this back on the bench!

Tanqueray Guest

good job chris, it's nice to see you fabricating something other then aluminum :)

am happy to see you tinkering with styrene!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast