PDA

View Full Version : AE86 Toyota Levin-first drift build

BrainDead
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Pretty excited for this build. Ive been wanting to get into drifting for a while and now I'm able too. I chose the hpi levin and run free body kit for this build. Still not sure what to do for a paint scheme. I got the body kit all cut out and have started to trim the body for the kit installation. Ordered some scale accessories from genkidoridori and should hopefully get those soon. One of the main things i wanted to do was add the wire mesh grill to the front bumper. Ive seen it done to a lot of cars and like the look. I was wondering where everyone gets there mesh at or what kind it is. I made a wire mesh grill for my wraith once out of a strainer, a little difficult sense it didnt bend well. I was also wondering about types of glue to use for rc bodies, ive been using super glue(gel) and when ever it dries there is a white mist left around the glue. Any suggestions would be great.

brios86
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
hey man kool choice on the levin i have one also, as for the mesh. window screen mesh will do(maybe a the wholes will be a little too big), if not in any fabric store you can find a mesh type fabric i am not sure what they call it, they use it to wrap the chocolate almonds in baby showers and stuff, and to mount the body kit some small, small screws like the ones that come with the light buckets that axial has.:biggthumpup:

street.terror
02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
shoo goo is the bomb for gluing bodies/parts. Its messy though so i usually mush some out onto a pice of cardboard and use a small piece of extra lexan to spread it on the desired location.

for super realism get your self some of these. http://driftmission.com/speed-way-pal-body-kit-screws/

tamiya
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
flyscreen mesh is too coarse unless you're doing 1/5th scale

go to an Arts/Crafts Supply store and as for "wireform mesh" - comes in different patterns, size & metals

btw if you hadn't already cut the holes, could've just masked it off & leave it clear.
Stick the mesh to the outside & looks just as good; no holes to weaken the body.

tozrovr
03-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Going to be very cool! I'm not a 1:1 drift fan but I REALLLLLY dig the scale stuff LOL. Go figure!

UNGLEWD
03-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Methylene Chloride is the proper stuff for bonding polycarbonate

BrainDead
03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
So I finally figured out what I'm going to do for my car. Did a lot of searching on google and looking at rc cars to come up with an idea. But when all is said and done I got my inspiration from a real car! I found a picture of Sam Futchers AE86 Levin thinking it was an over the top RC car, but alas it wasn't. It was real! I like the color, but i dont like red too much so im gonna be experimenting and trying to make a darker metallic red maybe Burgundy or maroon, more like the picture at the bottom.

street.terror
03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
the wheels on the forst one are available for rc's :) I love levins, cant wait to see this come together

BrainDead
03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
the wheels on the forst one are available for rc's :) I love levins, cant wait to see this come together

Oh really? I already have a set of wheels put aside but would like to see what you speak of, got a link?

street.terror
03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Available in 3, 6, 9 and 12mm offset in a variety of colors

http://www.genkidoridori.com/images/team_yayoi.png
http://www.genkidoridori.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1184

BrainDead
03-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Been waiting for more parts to show up before I get too into the build. Ive mostly been driving the car so i can get better at drifting. I got the HPI Sprint 2 Sport, same set up as the Sprint 2 Drift just with rubber grip tires. I'm not going to be using the spoiler that came with it, just wanted to see how it all looked. These plastic tires ware out fast, then again there's not to many smooth places around to drive at.

BrainDead
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I got the Tamiya Drift Accessories for the windshield wipers. But i started trying all the other parts on the tree and they fit on my HPI. First detail I added was the intercooler, cut out the foam a bit to make it fit lower and just put it together like the instructions showed.