PDA

View Full Version : Man Overboard: VW Golf Mk1

Little Guy
12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Hey guys.

I've decided to name this project "Man Overboard".

This is probably going to be a very trying and emotional build for me, as I will explain. Last year on Halloween, Karma served me a double Whammy of suck as I had my truck stolen, as well as ALL my major RC stuff that had otherwise been my items of faith for well over 3 years. I was a die hard drifter through and through. I was near broke at the time and the only thing that the thieves didn't make off with was my Tamiya Mini. It was about this time last year when I bought another chassis, but I never got to fully re-live the awesomeness that was my Mini. In a brash (and admittingly stupid) decision, I gave my Mini to a co-worker of mine and helped him rekindle his relationship with his son who had been distancing himself from his dad. Mission accomplished.

Hanging out with Matt and Al always proves to be both an enjoyable, yet a trying process for me. Having lost something I spent an insurmountable amount of hours on because It was late and I was too tired to even pack my stuff in for the night.

Well. It hurt. More than any pain I had felt in a long, long while. It made me understand why people at real races would literally sit aside their freshly crashed car and cry.

I spent a great deal investing time, money, and effort into my car. Part of the reason I've written this is because I'm trying to validate something to you guys. When I lost my stuff, I vowed never to spend that time into my cars again. And again, I'm glad I got guys like Matt and Al around to push me into things when I stomp my feet and refuse to move like a temper tampering 2 year old. Boys, I cannot stress it enough. You two, though I'm horrible at keeping contact, are true friends for me.

I managed to talk my coworker into lending me that Mini back so I could race in the basement-- and I think I'm going to have to buy it back since he bought a few batteries and a charger, because for a night in Al's basement keeping speed with all those cup racers, I felt like I was in a place I belonged. Boys, I'm home.

I will be receiving help from Al during the construction of this project on a simple principle that I believe I may chicken out and try -NOT- to finish it. I love European and Japanese Cars. My dream is to own a right hand drive one day and have it not be something well known like a skyline. Sure. Parts may be a shuz-in-it, but I want what I want. I noticed quite candidly that everyone who was racing a few weekends back in Al's basement were all running vintage cars-- A porsche 911, a Datsun 510, and a Datsun Sunny Coupe. Cool. They all had cup racers, and I have an M-03. Sure, I was bombing around in a pink and white Suzuki Swift, but noone cares about those! (admit it, you don't.)

My vice is Hatchbacks. They always have been. It's the Dutch/German in me, I think. While we were bombing around in the basement, Matt told me about a body sold on Ebay by a dude named "TBG", which I imagine probably stands for "Totally Bald Guy" (turns out it's "Team Blue Groove"!). He asked if I wanted it, while I was pondering ordering a Nissan Micra. Then I decided, "well, everyone else is Vintage. Lets make this look like an 80's race" and Asked him to order me one. Turns out the dude is based out of Niagra Falls. Pretty sweet deal.

Here's the body I'll be after. Not too terribly detailed, but with Al around, that's only a minor stepping stone into creating something of face melting potential.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TBG-VW-V-W-GOLF-RABBIT-BODY-fits-HPI-CUP-RACER-SWITCH-/150647198361

The above link has a picture.

Since I am, however, into the whole "Tuner" look, I'd like to add a splash of modernism to the paint scheme, a definite two tone paint scheme for sure, hopefully matched with a nice set of rims.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/photos/018KUo19WTD.jpg

Something like the above would be nice. I do plan on putting a driver and interior in it. This car wouldn't be scale without it.

More updates as I get things/Take pictures.

alan
12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh Justin! You're such a lovable nut!!:beerchug: Welcome home! I look forward to sharing creativity on the Golf and I'm sure there's plenty of guys on here with good ideas as to how one of these is supposed to look...

matt c
12-18-2011, 02:20 AM
I should go check the mail. Is it here yet? You're a great driver. I'm looking forward to racing against your VW. I'm a fan. Thanks for the kind words.

UNGLEWD
12-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Great to see you back in it Justin, cool choice on the body and project!

Gonzo007
12-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Great choice of bodies.

I have one of these sitting on the shelf for a one day project.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Colin

Little Guy
12-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Great choice of bodies.

I have one of these sitting on the shelf for a one day project.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Colin

Dammit, Colin. I'll even buy yours if you ever decide to part with it.:biggthumpup:

Just checked the tracker. The body was just processed in Richmond-- so It may show up at Matt's place in the next day or two.

jeenyus
12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
This is going to be a cool build! Cant wait to see what you come up with!

Gonzo007
12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Dammit, Colin. I'll even buy yours if you ever decide to part with it.:biggthumpup:

Just checked the tracker. The body was just processed in Richmond-- so It may show up at Matt's place in the next day or two.

Maybe. The one I have cost more then the ebay price since we got a custom pull on them. They are thicker lexan then the standard bodies.

Let me think about it and I will let you know

Colin

Little Guy
12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Had a pretty productive day today.

I figured out that the servo issues I was having the last time I was at Al's was because I ran a Nylon Servo inside a Metal Gear Servo Saver. Tough break. I bought a new servo and a new servo Saver, and after a bit of testing and tuning, Al and I got the car back to where it should be.

Cup racer tires and rims are so tastefully scale.

motocrawler
12-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Justin,

So does this mean that I am not going to have pink and white all over my car next time we battle on the track? Tell me you are still going to put mortal enemy on the side of your car...lol! Can't wait to see your car and burn laps with you again!

Little Guy
12-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Justin,

So does this mean that I am not going to have pink and white all over my car next time we battle on the track? Tell me you are still going to put mortal enemy on the side of your car...lol! Can't wait to see your car and burn laps with you again!

The thought hasn't left my mind, sir.

You're a good driver. Looking forward to racing you all Legit-like.

matt c
12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
It's here...........:luxhello:

Now how do I get it to you?

Little Guy
12-20-2011, 09:49 PM
It's here...........:luxhello:

Now how do I get it to you?

If you have it, I will come get it. XD

Would you mind posting a comparison between it and your datsun? It should be pretty scale, right?

matt c
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
The wife has the camera tonight. You'll have it in your hands soon enough.[[[

Little Guy
12-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Got it. Merry Christmas, man.

Not going to post pictures yet. I'm waiting till I get to Al's place to take some 'Therapy" shots. I'll most likely be doing a vast amount of this build at his place.

alan
01-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Justin took part in the 2011/12 Armature Alley New Year's Build-a-thon... I can't wait to see this thing finished!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0072-2.jpg

UNGLEWD
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Man I missed allot last night, it wasn't just all party up there after all... Looking good guys!

imthatguy
01-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Great paint!

What's going on with those wheels? Reverse offset?

Little Guy
01-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Al just snuck some rims under there for photos. I don't order online, so I'm having a hell of a time finding them locally. I think I just might have to break down and buy them through someone, though.

imthatguy
01-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Al just snuck some rims under there for photos. I don't order online, so I'm having a hell of a time finding them locally. I think I just might have to break down and buy them through someone, though.

What are you looking for? I've got a whole bunch of extras floating around.

Little Guy
01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
This car has -HUGE- offset in the back. I'd need at least a pair of 4-6mm rims for the back. the front is fine with 0mm, but I'd need something to compliment the back. Mismatch rims are awesome and all, but I do like the occasional staggered offset-- they just look funny and awesome on Front Wheel Drives. :rock:

alan
01-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Great paint!

What's going on with those wheels? Reverse offset?

As Justin mentioned, we're just posing for the shot. Finding deep offset wheels for this thing is just about next on the build-list. We're trying to stay on budget and I'm hoping we won't have to create our own wheels from multiple sets (something I have no experience with).

beaster
01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
i made my rx7 (fatlipz) wheels , had no problems so far havnt ran it much tho LOL. just need a set of donor lipz (rear of sum crappy old rimz u dont want) a little dremel action and a sanding block sum glue and if u are really anal sum calipers. ez to do outcome well sum FAT LIPZ! getr DONE! PLUS u dont have do run the streched tire look if u not into that.

matt c
01-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Great colour choice justin. Building custom wheels is my specialty. You know that. Anything I can help with?

Little Guy
01-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Al and I got some more work on this tonight. I've gone from needing massive offsets in the back to something only marginal. 3mm offsets would be ideal right now, and I only need one pair. I should really consider an order or something.

matt c
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I think you need to update us with some pictures..........

Little Guy
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
I really need to, yes. Car is currently at Al's home as a near permanent addition to the track. I've been working night shifts this week, so I haven't had a chance to get out there and install the few little details that will finish this ride off.

alan
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Wheels, Justin, wheels! We didn't come all this way to fall short on the most important part of a build. Maybe Beaster can give you some advice.;)

beaster
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
sounds like u need sum rear offset? 3mm for front and 6mm for rear with sum traxxas hexs?? funny thing i got wheels but i dont lol i have 3mm and rear 6mm 8 spoke hpi cr wheels (-tires) but no way to get to the 24hr race:(

Little Guy
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Sounds like I got to DIY a set of rims Saturday Morning-- assuming Mr. Alan doesn't mind.

You want a ride, Beastie? Send me a PM and I'll look into hooking you up.

alan
01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
So far, I count 5 guys who've contributed to this build. I'll let Justin tell the story..

01.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0275-2.jpg

02.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0312.jpg

03.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0307-2.jpg

04.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0281.jpg

05.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0284.jpg

06.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0298-1.jpg

07.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0292.jpg

08.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0290.jpg

09.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0311.jpg

10.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0286.jpg

11.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0320-2.jpg

12.http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0321.jpg

Little Guy
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM
There is almost too much to list to tell a Story. Man Overboard has been a fully emotional build for me. As I said before, I'm not used to putting this much effort into anything.

This build involved...

Matt Crarey, Alan Warner, Kevin Jowett, Jay Ford, Rob McInnis, and Myself, Justin Litchfield. I count that as 6. Rob didn't physically submit to the build, but he did give me a lot of ideas, so I count that.

To start things off, I got talked into buying this body from Matt, who ordered it on Ebay for me, and it was well worth the 44 dollars.

Picture 1) Man Overboard was supposed to signify that I was going to go above and beyond the call of duty with this build. Now that it's mostly finished (the -REAL- fun comes with all the scrapes I am sure to get), I feel... well. Satisfied with myself and thankful for the help I've received.

Picture 2) Al and I figured that since we're doing an 80's car, we'd set it up to look like a Pikes Peak / Hill Climbing Car. I don't regret this decision. The Wing came off a Hardbody Mustang. I threw it on top of my car as a joke, saying something was missing. The next thing I knew, the damn thing was dremeled and parked on the roof for poser shots. :D

Picture 3) Ah, the Paint. The whole car came with an overspray film, but no decals or masking. Al did me a seriously massive favor and edged all the windows with his hobby razor, discarding the rest. The Entire car was painted Black on the Outside, then White, Then Green, then Teal. The whole front was re-masked for the grill and sprayed black. The Black lines are all Tamiya Tape, and I'm pretty sure that was like some kind of late Christmas Present from Al, as he now holds my car Hostage at his place. Truth be told, I'm glad the Hostage takers take such good care of their guests. All the Window trim I did by using tin tape cut in strips. All the sponsor decals are a mix of Parma and Traxxas decals.

Picture 4) The Lightbuckets, the Meshes covering the lights, and the Fog Lamps are all out of an Axial Crawling kit. I used 5mm LEDS all the way around in this car.

Picture 5) I installed an antenna for realism. It was cool until I stabbed a vein with it, so I put a little flag made of tape-- which lasted until I stabbed myself again. Al's Remedy was a Kick in the ass and the installation of a potentially less deadly alternative for my fingers.

Picture 6) Mirrors are from an Old Tamiya Hilux Kit that I found at Racetech on a parts tree for 2 dollars. Yes, those are deep dish and well stretched tires in the back.

Picture 7) Using a pair of donor rims from a Tamiya GT-01, Jay Ford Showed Al and I both how to make our own, tasty, stretched, completely redonkulous set of deep dish rims so ludicrous that I think I only crashed a lot during our racing because I was too busy admiring how pretty they were. Wicked idea, dude. Totally doesn't look like a Tamiya M-Chassis wheel at all. They look so... plastic-like otherwise. We did the same in the front, but due to clearance issues for the tire, we put only a cover on the tire to match the rear. Looks more like a Vee Dubya this way. Brought new life to the car, and hopefully a new friendship from Jay. Thanks again, dude! :D

Picture 8) The exhaust we had wouldn't fit in normally. Solution? Make it look like an Exhaust from an EF Civic! Real men shoot exhaust sideways. The Word "BRAAP!" on the Exhaust? That adds 45 Horsepower. Don't ask why. It just does. Accidentally discovered how to perfectly mimic a VW with that kind of exhaust, but only if I get to include the Blow Off Valve.

Picture 9) A recessed intercooler. My favorite part of the car, and something I wasn't even considering until we got good and happy after a safety meeting. Not sure what really happened, but it was awesome. The license plate started life being hung on the bumper about an inch and a quarter higher, but when you got so much power you've cut a piece of the bumper out just so you can cram more cold air into it? Yeah. I put it there as a joke, but it grew on me almost instantly. It says Custom-- like someone just zip tied it on there to keep the cops from writing them a ticket. This -IS- Armature Alley. Noone is safe from the Laws there. Especially -SCALE- laws.

Picture 10) The window screen mesh is from one of those little packs that you'd get sporting equipment in. Looked so much cooler when I installed it. Al went to town on the Helmet for this driver. I love the Neon Yellow stripe and the fact it just adds to the car. There's an LED in the Steering column of the car that lights up as I drive, totally illuminating the driver as if his guages are going off while he's driving.

Picture 11) When we fitted it, Al and I discovered that the wheelbase was shorter than 210mm. It was actually 205mm, while still being 160mm wide, as the car was originally made from a plug from a 1980's Tamiya 1/12 scale Pan Car. After some brainstorming and a safety meeting, we decided to cut about 5mm of the Arm out, and use it as a shim on the other side to push the wheelbase back. I gotta admit, I'd have never have thought about that. Thanks again, Al.

Picture 12) The body kept bowing out in the middle because the battery was in the way. Solution? Duct tape the crap out of an insanely reliable NiMh battery to take the restrainers out, then turn and use velcro on both the body and the battery to pull it all in.

That's about all I can write for now. It's pretty late for me. Thank you everyone for your help. Handles like a dream, I kid you not.

Also, AJUC84G Stands for "Al and Justin's Unbelievably Cool 84 Golf". I can't even make this up. XD

imthatguy
01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
That's an excellent description/story for an excellent looking ride! Love the attention to detail, now go get it scraped up!

alan
01-26-2012, 12:22 PM
PS. Kevin donated the front VW emblem and some aftermarket springs and I'm pretty sure the interior actually came from Rob.

Radioflyer
01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Haha this thing just screams carefree college student budget racing/daily driver car! :rock:

Let's see some video of it in action! :biggthumpup:

Sean :cool:

beaster
01-26-2012, 06:06 PM
lookn sweet! and no probs justin im glad i can share the knowledge, car is lookn awsome we gona need to get sum shots of the teeny's cars together lol!! (my rex and your vdub)

Little Guy
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Jay: Yeah buddy. Fotos rock. I'll defs do more. :D

Al: Thanks for reminding me. I can't believe I didn't post that last night. Thanks Rob and Kev. :D

tozrovr
04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!