PDA

View Full Version : Air in tires

LaRok
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I was doing some changing of some foams in a few sets of tires and came across the issue of air trapped in my tires after putting on my rings.Iwas wondering what the best thing to do to stop this.I have heard of drilling a small hole in the rubber, drillling a small hole in the rim or should i just loosen the rings to get desired pressure?:1zhelp:

HeyOK
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Most of us drill a hole in the rim. Usually the hole is drilled from the back side of the wheel so that you can't see it from the shiny side.

I usually make two holes with an 1/8" drill bit at opposite sides of the wheel.

I haven't seen any crawler tires with holes made in the tires themselves. We often run where it is wet and that would just suck more water into the foams... I say this knowing that I have driven many times through the water where it definitely would have been over the holes drilled in the rims.

Maybe someone else here has a better solution.

colonelangus
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
i drill 2 1/16th inch holes in rims .it allows air in and out even if the tire is sitting on one of the holes..
if you dont put holes in rims you will get flat spots when its cold and ballons when its warm.pain in the a$$ ..holes and foams are predictable..

F350 Tonka
05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I've drilled holes in my tire's,If you'r gonna do trail's and or go threw water you might want to think about drilling the tire's or rim's.Unless you like the smell of mold.
Glad I have a few set's of rim's.That's another reason I didn't want to drill hole's in the rim's.

UNGLEWD
05-01-2008, 07:46 PM
You could drill and tap a hole to receive a 4-40 hex screw. This way you'd have the option of closing it up for running through the water or opening them for crawling. Most hobby shops have a cheap drill bit and tap pair (Great Planes Product I think) great to have on tap for other projects too!

F350 Tonka
05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
You could drill and tap a hole to receive a 4-40 hex screw. This way you'd have the option of closing it up for running through the water or opening them for crawling. Most hobby shops have a cheap drill bit and tap pair (Great Planes Product I think) great to have on tap for other projects too!

That's funny,I was thinkin about that too.
We think alike Kevin.:nod:

LaRok
05-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Thats the ticket!Going to do it tonight, One set anyway.Thanx for the tips every one:D

UNGLEWD
05-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Before you do that last tip...
Some beadlocks if you leave out 1 screw for the rock rings it will let air out too!
Of course depends if hole continues into the rims interior.

colonelangus
05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I've drilled holes in my tire's,If you'r gonna do trail's and or go threw water you might want to think about drilling the tire's or rim's.Unless you like the smell of mold.
Glad I have a few set's of rim's.That's another reason I didn't want to drill hole's in the rim's.
smelly tires ..my trail rig is also asubmarine and the rims are not drilled and i have foams .

LaRok
05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
That's even better thank you!I do love both terrains and this way its alot less work.:biggthumpup:

ecoli
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Before you do that last tip...
Some beadlocks if you leave out 1 screw for the rock rings it will let air out too!
Of course depends if hole continues into the rims interior.

If you have higher quality aluminum beadlock wheels, you can generally drill a hole through the rim to the beadlock screw hole. See this link for a good pic of what I mean: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1078219&postcount=12

The aluminum beadlocks generally don't have enough room behind the face to drill an inconspicuous airhole, so this simple mod works quite well. Plus, if you want an airtight tire, you just simply put back the screw that you removed in order to allow the airhole to function.

LaRok
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't have alminum YET,but thats exactly what i did to my plastic ones also had to do the other way with the screw threw the back side of the rim for my rpm revolver wheels since they dont have rings but i love the off set and width of them.Thanx for all the help guys.:D

Nerve
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
One of the guys in our local club tried air in the new proline beadlock wheels w/ claws...

http://rccontario.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=285

Good for scale, not that great for comps apparently.

EastCan Racing
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Everyone's talking about cutting and drilling. no no no no NO!!! Remove the foam, and place the beadlock back on. Once all is on, the air inside the tire should be normal pressure (by default). It gives you better traction as it flex's and cuts appropriatly, while still looking like ordinary tires. They don't go flat, unless you drive over a nail.

I'd say more but my mind just went blank for no reason.
TTYL

colonelangus
06-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Everyone's talking about cutting and drilling. no no no no NO!!! Remove the foam, and place the beadlock back on. Once all is on, the air inside the tire should be normal pressure (by default). It gives you better traction as it flex's and cuts appropriatly, while still looking like ordinary tires. They don't go flat, unless you drive over a nail.

I'd say more but my mind just went blank for no reason.
TTYL
i disagree i have done this and if you go up or down in elevation and or temp the will get flat spot and when the tires are normal and do have the correct amount of air they bounce to much for my liking....just my .02

Rubiconmike
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
i disagree i have done this and if you go up or down in elevation and or temp the will get flat spot and when the tires are normal and do have the correct amount of air they bounce to much for my liking....just my .02

I took the foams out the other day and drove it around the living room all day. Crawled over every thing
thought i had it all figured out.
then it took it out side and wheeled it arownd for a bit in the colder temp the tires ended up with huge
crater like bumps in them. oh ya i only took the foams out of the rear tires. the fronts didn't change due to temp, wet inside and replaced the foams. we'll leave it like that for now.

matt c
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Everyone's entitled to my opinion so:

I pinch the tire and cut a hole with lexan sissors. I do 3-4 of these in each tire. It's on the outside between the treads. Foams in. Water comes in, water goes out. My tires grab on to rocks great. I've done this with 1.9 Flatirons and Losi Rock Bashers. People can't believe the places my truck get's into. I think that's one of the reasons?

The holes are about 3mm or 3/16" diameter each.

trucktrial
12-26-2009, 09:19 AM
You know this thing?

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3732/airr.jpg

http://www.gmade.net/bbs/zboard.php?id=gair&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=6

it's great if it works, I always had a huge problem for expelling water and crocodiles inside tires, and below this ,does not seem a good solution, at least for the poor crocodiles .
http://www.euskalnet.net/treewebs/trucktrial/cortaplana/cpl_000.jpg

Some time ago I tried to change the foam by bubble wrap in 6 cm width coiling 4 times on the rim, it avoided much of water, but not all.

I also noticed much difference in the time it takes to break down the wet foams. In my opininion the foams traxxas brand are better than those that come in the proline moab or masher